Tire pressure monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanielObi

Reaction score
Greetings All,
So onboard the car there’s a tire pressure monitor that tells you how much psi is in your tires, and it could fluctuate up and down depending on temperature or altitude. But the recommended PSI according to the tag by the door should be 34 PSI

So the problem is…

The PSI on the dashboard says 34psi but when I check with a tire pressure pen straight from the tire it clocks in at 37psi.

Question…

Which one should I go with? The dashboard indicator or the tire pressure pen?
Are they really out of sync? Can it be reprogrammed?

SteveK

Reaction score
Both. Neither. Use the pen to make all four the same, whatever that reads may not be correct but they are the same. The four separate tire senders may send different readings to the dash, record them so you have a reference difference to the pen.

The pen(s) are not guaranteed correct psi. Now you have to take that into account. You can actually get different reading when checked multiple times. They are a quick check tool. I have them and I have a hose and dial gauge one.

The dash readout may not be spot on. suppose you have two tires read 36 psi on dash. Switch the read out to metric, it should be the same, but is it.

Big Papi

Reaction score
The pen can hardly be considered a calibrated instrument of precise accuracy. Do with that nugget what you will.

EppyGA

Reaction score
To get close to accurate readings you'd need a dial gauge similar to what race teams use.

ricklack

Reaction score
I bought a Michelin digital pen type gauge years ago at Canadian Tire. Amazingly it appears to be fairly accurate, even after all these years. It could be I got lucky ......

Members online

No members online now.