Rear Lift Gate Won’t Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Metal Flake

Reaction score
My 2016 manual lift gate won’t open every time. This is an intermittent problem. It will work just fine for days and then won’t work unless I try locking and unlocking the doors several times.

I had the exact same issue on my 2013 Equinox and replaced the switch, but that didn’t help. Wound up trading it in so never got to the bottom of the problem.

Anyone else have this issue? Thanks

rvseverson

Reaction score
I traced it down to the non serviceable liftgate latch relay in the engine fuse block in my 2015. Got a used block that fixed the latch issue but I think I need to get it programmed at the dealership so the door locks will work too. If you get a used block make sure it’s the same part number IMG_7798.jpegIMG_7820.jpeg

rvseverson

Reaction score
The used fuse block had its own issue with the door lock relay. I bought another used one off EBay that had all its fuses and relays for $30. Plugged it in and now everything is working perfectly. The fuse block has 9 internal, non-serviceable, relays. A new one at the dealership is $300.

Metal Flake

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Glad you solved the issue!

What kind of idiots would design such a complex system for a tailgate?

Members online

No members online now.