Oil Change Uh-Oh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kooz_jr

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd share this with ya'll so you don't do what I did.

I was due for an oil change on my '10 Nox, and no dealership had openings so I decided to do it myself. No big deal, I thought, I've done it myself on other vehicles for years...

Long story short, got the car up on ramps, drained the oil, changed the filter, new oil in, badda bing badda boom, end of story. Car starts up, throw it in reverse, and NOTHING! The transmission is totally dead. No movement whatsoever. Backup camera on, reverse lights on, no movement. Forwards or backwards. I'm sitting there rocking the car back and forth, revving the engine, thinking maybe the parking brake got stuck, nothing.

Got it towed to the dealership, they had never heard of this type of problem before, nor had the tow truck driver. I'm sitting here thinking, this can't be a coincidence. What the hell happened?

So I think I figured it out...the best I can tell I drained the transmission fluid instead of the motor oil, and now have effectively doubled the amount of oil in the pan, and have zero transmission fluid. Makes perfect sense, and I'm sure ya'll can imagine how stupid I feel. Naturally, the dealership is closed now and I have to wait till Monday to hear the hysterical laughter over the phone (hopefully not, lol) and to find out whether there was any damage. From what I've read, and maybe this is right or wrong, but without fluid the torque converter is just gonna sit there and spin and not engage, and unless you actually got the car moving and out driving somehow, chances are this is an easy fix.

Hopefully, since the car didn't actually move, and I didn't try THAT hard to get it going, all that has to be done is to refill the tranny fluid, and drain and replace the engine oil and filter. Naturally this'll be an expensive lesson, as the rental charge will be on me now, and the $60 worth of oil and new filter is gonna have to be drained and chucked. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to laugh about this soon. The worst part is having to wait until Monday! :bawl:

It's ok, go ahead and laugh guys :dogpile:

Have a great weekend and a happy holiday!

08PILOT

Reaction score
Man, I bet you were freaking out, I know I would, but I gotta :lol:

Reaction score
How many miles on the Nox? Probably no damage and actually did a good thing if you never had the transmission serviced and you have some miles on it. No need to change the oil filter since it is new. I would just drain the oil from the engine and top back off with fresh fluid. All should be well.

Paul79UF

Reaction score
I'm sure we've all done mistakes like that.

Don't beat yourself up.

I had two incidents with my Yamaha R6 motorcycle. Once I filled the tank with diesel and didn't make it very far. :( The second time I oiled the air filter too much and it barely ran. Cost a pretty penny for new plugs, filter and coils.

Live and learn. :)

jimstod

Reaction score
Has anyone done a trans fluid and filter change on 2010 nox? If so tell me about it.
Thanks,
jim

bigbillsd

Reaction score
Is there really a drain plug on an equinox tranny? I've never seen one on any transmission before. I've always needed to drop the pan to change the fluid.

padavid12

Reaction score
I did that on the first car I owned. It was a 56 Dodge. I had never done an oil changed before. I always thought it funny that I had to put 3 quarts trans fluid on every oil change. Needless to say, I never thought to check the oil and drove the car. Sometime later I did another oil change. Same problem. Added three quarts trans fluid and drove the car. A few miles later the old Dodge started burning oil and the trans started slipping. Looked under the car and the whole bottom was covered with oil. Cost me $200.00 for a rebuild on the engine and trans. Never did that again. Of course that was in 1961.

CClive

Reaction score
Back in the 70's, I worked at a Pontiac dealer when I was in school. We had a guy with a new Trans Am who did this. It ended up with a rebuild on the transmission and new seals on the engine...very expensive for him. I'm glad you didn't run the engine too much.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Back in the 70's, I worked at a Pontiac dealer when I was in school. We had a guy with a new Trans Am who did this. It ended up with a rebuild on the transmission and new seals on the engine...very expensive for him. I'm glad you didn't run the engine too much.

I would be ill!

prheaume

Reaction score
On the previous garage I worked, we had a new guy that just got out of mechanic school. He did an oil change on a Hyundai Sonata, the drain plug for the engine and the transmission are really close, so he drained maybe 500ml of transmission fluid.

We decided to make fun of him. Another tech was doing the brakes on the car so the wheels were removed and the caliper was not installed yet. I told the guy to start the car and engage the transmission to see if everything is ok. When he put the car on drive, the disc brake started to turn, the tech with his foot push the caliper on the disc so it makes a metal sound. I said STOP RIGHT NOW !!!!

Maybe you have some air in the tranny, go to the part and ask for a rubber hose that fits on the transmission gauge. He remove the dipstick and put the rubber tube over the dispstick tube. I told him to blow air in the tube to bleed the transmission. The guy was red when we told him it was a joke :)

Big.PaPa.X

Reaction score
I did trans service on a 10 nox. All you can do is a drain and refill. The transmission has to be removed to change the filter. If you want drain and refill instructions, I can post them.

Members online