New and need help 2010 chevy. Equinox p420 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ang

Reaction score
hello I need help I am new to this forum I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox with about 150,000 miles on it is a 2.4 l and it is showing a code for p 420 catalytic converter. Took it to the dealership they want $2,000 to fix the catalytic converter. But there was also two other codes in the beginning when we were having the same problem so we changed the battery and it didn't happen for 2 weeks. Now the first code was aBS 800 the second code was Co 300 now those codes have not come up any longer and the new code that is coming up is the catalytic converter. I do know that O2 sensors can possibly caused the issue with the catalytic converter and we are willing to place that replace that but I just need to know what I really should do because now after getting almost a $200 battery the problem has came back. What the problem is is the car will turn on it can go into gear and everything but when you do put it in the gear it feels like the emergency brakes are on it does not want to move. I can take it in and out of gear that's fine you can rather the engine everything but it literally feels like the actual tires have locked up and does not want to roll. Is anybody had this before?

CoolDad

Reaction score
Just park it in an area where they are steeling the converters. You can even Jack it up for them. Leave for a while. When you come back they will be gone, the jack too. Call your insurance. Problem solved.

TerryL

Reaction score
hello I need help I am new to this forum I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox with about 150,000 miles on it is a 2.4 l and it is showing a code for p 420 catalytic converter. Took it to the dealership they want $2,000 to fix the catalytic converter. But there was also two other codes in the beginning when we were having the same problem so we changed the battery and it didn't happen for 2 weeks. Now the first code was aBS 800 the second code was Co 300 now those codes have not come up any longer and the new code that is coming up is the catalytic converter. I do know that O2 sensors can possibly caused the issue with the catalytic converter and we are willing to place that replace that but I just need to know what I really should do because now after getting almost a $200 battery the problem has came back. What the problem is is the car will turn on it can go into gear and everything but when you do put it in the gear it feels like the emergency brakes are on it does not want to move. I can take it in and out of gear that's fine you can rather the engine everything but it literally feels like the actual tires have locked up and does not want to roll. Is anybody had this before?
Ok. The 2020’s have an oil comsumption issue. You need go have it checked to see if it was ever in the shop to have that fixed. The dealership could tell you that. It is a factory recall but has to be done before you reach 150k. 2000 is a lot for that. The converter is around 500 now thru the dealership but check the cost with them to be sure. The job takes less than 2 hours. If you are mechanically inclined do it your self with an aftermarket. The abs code is your braking system. Maybe you have stiuck calipers. Check your fluid first. Top it off if low. Then have your brakes checked if it continues. The 300 code is a cylinder misfilre. If it doesn’t return then ok. Could be caused by the oil comsumption issue. If you get the dealership to fix your oil consumption issue, if you have one, then get them to replace the converter too as the consumption issie causes the converter to go bad. Fight for that. My 2010 has 250k on it and I still have oil issues but it think it’s my valve seals and I can replace my cat 6 times to equate to the head repair and install cost. I can get about 2 years of local driving before I need a cat.

TerryL

Reaction score
Ps. Your o2 sensers could be the issue and they’re cheap to replace but don’t be surprised if it comes back. How much oil do you use between changes?

Duckman59

Reaction score
Yes I did. The brakes were locked up too. The master brake container was low, I kept putting brake fluid in it, after a while it would disappear again. I put more in. This went on for a year. Finally, my wife was driving car, put on brakes, it just locked them up. Car would not move, the vacuum brake booster had gone bad and everytime I put brake fluid in, it filled up the vacuum booster. It was full and the brakes could not release until the pressure was gone. Had to replace the vacuum booster. Ever since then, the car seems to run funny like it’s missing between 45-50 mph, you can power on through it, but it has a slight hesitation. Now engine code 420 has come on and I’m told it needs a catalytic converter, I was told the catalytic cleaner would work. Waiting til only 4 gallons of fuel left. Put it in, drove it 30 miles as instructed. Still have light on.

pipwax

Reaction score
Most likely your catalytic converter is clogged. I am not sure if you are familiar with the fact that these cars were burning oil by factory default. This means your cat is clogged with oil. You can try cleaning it with fuel treatments, but I doubt this will work. Otherwise, you will need a new Cat. OEM is the best way to go. If you can't fix the oil burning issue it's just a matter of time before you need a new cat.

If not in California, you can get a federal cat if you are in California, you need a CARB Cat. Hope this helps. look here for more info.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.