Hard Downshifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landmarkbuilder

Reaction score
HI, got a 2013 Equinox with the I4, 13850 miles. I have been having a random transmission issue. At random times since new, the transmission will downshift HARD. A few times, it is hard enough to "chirp" the tires on dry pavement. A few times, when coming to a stop, the transmission wont go into first until it is already stopped, and it will lurch forward a bit. Twice it has slipped a gear upshifting...gentle acceleration and all the sudden it will rev to 6000 to 7000 rpm and "drop" a gear, before you even can stop it. It has been to the dealer at 6000 miles for this and most recently at 13500 miles. First time i was told that this is normal for this transmission. Last time, the service tech at the dealer told me they were going to pull the trans, but at the last minute GM called and told them to flash the trans programming again and send me on my way. I am hoping that someone from GM follows over here, as it is getting worse and we are a bit nervous to take it anywhere on a long trip. Nothing ruins a vacation faster than a broken car. I have driven a couple Terrains and they dont do this....Is it normal or has enyone else had a similar issue?

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
I would continuing taking your vehicle in for service until the vehicle is fixed. You could also try another GM dealer or you can also ask to speak with the region GM rep personally. They need to know you mean business!

landmarkbuilder

Reaction score
Yeah, my next trip in is going to be soon, as my daughter drove it and said something about it "acting funny"! Strange thing is, they let me use a 2013 CTS as a loaner, and I think my expectations of drive line smoothness are a little high, as it was rough also!

jne232

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. I also have the 2013 LT1 with the I4 and 5500 miles. Very hard downshifts. Always worse in ECO mode. All of my older GM vehicles shift 100% smooth including my 1997 Buick with 180k on the odometer. Brand new GMs seem to be junk. Very disappointed for a 30k vehicle.

I have not had the downshifting so hard that it chirps the tires. Just really embarrassing to take someone for a ride in my brand new car and it shifts like that. No wonder why I cant talk someone into buying a GM. Come on GM.....

3fingers

Reaction score
Have the dealer diagnosis the problem. Let them drive it and check what the problem. Welcome by the way.

landmarkbuilder

Reaction score
just an update on this situation....still having the problem. Although now it seems to have settled to a hard 2nd to 1st down shift, almost like hitting a pothole at every stop! Also, there seems to be an electrical issue. Radio jumping inputs when the traction control activates in snowy parking lots, radio staying on after the driver door is opened and key OUT of ignition, gear shift lights staying at daytime brightness all the time, and the Chevy emblem on the grill is delaminating.... All of this with a tick under 17,500 miles. Off to the dealer again soon! Am i expecting too much? My 2011 Jeep Wrangler shifts smoother than this thing....

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I wonder if it has anything to do with Eco mode. Just a thought on the performance of the shifting. I can't tell when my v6 NOx shifts....

Sent from my XT1254

Ltdan

Reaction score
Same issue

I have a 2014 equinox with this same issue.

Very hard downshifts from 2nd to 1st in Eco mode. Not as often in the non-Eco mode.

I figured it was the transmission being worn-in

The biggest reason this is an issue is because it's almost impossible to coast to a stop, suddenly my car will slow down 20 km/h in a couple seconds off the force and pressure of the transmission.

If this is wrecking it, I'd like to know. It seems unusual

2014 equinox 2.4l 2wd

EquinoxDvr

Reaction score
Hard Down Shift

Got a 2011 Chevy Equinox with 80k miles on it. Has been having serious issues with Hard Downshifts between 38-45mph. Went to a chevy dealer & paid $1400 to fix the issue only to hear that they only reset the computer but story quickly changed to them replacing valves etc

Issue was fixed until a month & half later. It downshifted hard again while I was on the highway nearly causing me to be in a severe crash. Brought the car in. Without looking at it, service dept said Transmission may have to be replaced.

After doing ALOT of research, this "hard downshifting" has been a popular problem with Chevy Equinox. I am really disappointed that GM has not made this a recall. Someone is going to get killed because of this common issue.

Does anyone have the same issue? Was it fixed? If so, how?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts