Did Valvoline Screw Me on Trans Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

don_equiknotts

Reaction score
My local Valvoline did a transmission flush, and said they were only putting 5 quarts back in because that's what they took out (company policy they said). I asked another Valvoline to top it off while I as there getting my tires rotated a different day. They said they first Valvoline should have done that. And to take it back to them.

Who is lying here? Google says I need 10 quarters. Is this dangerous running it half low?

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
They probably just did a drain and refill which approximately will replace only half the fluid

PaulD

Reaction score
Agreed. Your Valvoline stop is probably not equipped to do a thorough flush and replace. Opening the drain plug allows 5 qts to drain out which would give you 50% new oil. What I did was to drain 5 qts again a month later. That gives one a 75% replacement which, in my opinion, is not too bad especially considering we're using synthetic ATF. My plan is to drain and replace 5 qts every year. It's easy to do and will ensure old oil is replaced.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
drain and fill is pretty much all you can do on these transmissions. filling the transmission is the tricky part. The vehicle must be on level ground, or supported so the vehicle is level. the lower bolt is there to drain the fluid, but you should remove the upper bolt so it can flow easier. when you fill the transmission the procedure is to add fluid until it starts to trickle out from the fill bolt. I would definitely recommend that you take it to a qualifies transmission shop as this is a very difficult procedure.
And I would definitely recommend Amsoil fuel mileage fluid. My fuel mileage incresed from 16 - 20mpg city, 21 - 36mpg highway.

PaulD

Reaction score
It's as easy as changing the motor oil. Remove plug, let gravity drain fluid. 5 qts will come out. You can either remove the upper plug and watch for oil to drain out or just add 5 qts. If you feel better about it, dump the drained tranny fluid into an empty, used 5 qt oil container and replace how much came out. Not complicated at all. In fact, it doesn't get much easier.

Members online

No members online now.