Backseat Floor question & storage.. 2011 Nox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jecilop

Reaction score
Suffice to say I got something mixed up between a the first one I test drove and the 2011 Equinox that I actually bought such that I thought there was more room under the backseat, a perfect place for small storage.

Does anyone know what is actually under that backseat that requires it to be higher than the regular floor area?

I'd love to be able to make some sort of "cut out" storage box spaces under there to fit things like tissue boxes, maps, small umbrella, etc... This wouldn't be visible, but a great hiding spot. I just don't know if it's possible. I haven't found any diagrams online anywhere to answer this either.

Anyone?

JP

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I was not aware of any underneath the seat storage or space for storage. But I do think that there is a little storage behind the seat if it is pushed forward. Hopefully the dealer took the time to show you the neat things these cars offer even though it is fun to figure these things out on your own.

But there is a bar under the seat that you pull up and the seat will glide forwards or backwards. I am pretty sure that with the seat forward there is room under the plastic platform.

jecilop

Reaction score
I'm talking about storing when the seat it all the way back. There is very little storage, unfortunately, overall; however, I knew what I was getting when I chose it after much research.

Push the backseat all the way back. Try to reach under the seat and under the bar for sliding it. You can't really even get your hand under there. You can clearly feel that the "floor" rises. I am wondering about this area that rises and what is underneath that "requires" that design or if it was just a little arbitrary.

If it's essentially empty space, I'd love to cut through the front section and install some sort of frame "box" under each backseat section (between the seat frames). Essentially, where you instinctively try to reach under the seats is where I'd make storage.

I keep the backseat all the way back for the leg room and floor space (tall people and need the floor space). Also, I want to be able to access certain things without worrying about behind the backseat and having to go through the back to get them. That's most impractical.

It's too bad Chevy didn't figure out how to make the same kind of rear wheel storage and pocket type areas as the other makers are doing. When I was shopping and compared the Kia Sportage '11, I was amazed at what they do around the spare tire for storage. I gave this up for other things I was getting or thought I'd get with the Equinox.

BTW, d..b... I too have the "blue" Equinox...2011 Twilight Blue LTZ with the full chrome trim...Didn't care about chrome, but the one I found just looked great overall. I was actually looking for the Cardinal Red, but I love what I got. The blue color changes with the weather. I love that.
I'd post some pics, but I've done that extensively on another forum album before I found this one. I considered posting a link there, but I think that would be disrespectful of this one to redirect to another unless and admin says "go for it.."

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I'm talking about storing when the seat it all the way back. There is very little storage, unfortunately, overall; however, I knew what I was getting when I chose it after much research.

Push the backseat all the way back. Try to reach under the seat and under the bar for sliding it. You can't really even get your hand under there. You can clearly feel that the "floor" rises. I am wondering about this area that rises and what is underneath that "requires" that design or if it was just a little arbitrary.

If it's essentially empty space, I'd love to cut through the front section and install some sort of frame "box" under each backseat section (between the seat frames). Essentially, where you instinctively try to reach under the seats is where I'd make storage.

I keep the backseat all the way back for the leg room and floor space (tall people and need the floor space). Also, I want to be able to access certain things without worrying about behind the backseat and having to go through the back to get them. That's most impractical.

It's too bad Chevy didn't figure out how to make the same kind of rear wheel storage and pocket type areas as the other makers are doing. When I was shopping and compared the Kia Sportage '11, I was amazed at what they do around the spare tire for storage. I gave this up for other things I was getting or thought I'd get with the Equinox.

BTW, d..b... I too have the "blue" Equinox...2011 Twilight Blue LTZ with the full chrome trim...Didn't care about chrome, but the one I found just looked great overall. I was actually looking for the Cardinal Red, but I love what I got. The blue color changes with the weather. I love that.
I'd post some pics, but I've done that extensively on another forum album before I found this one. I considered posting a link there, but I think that would be disrespectful of this one to redirect to another unless and admin says "go for it.."

Best thing that I always do with forums and photos that I have posted... I quote my thread on said forum and "Copy all text". Paste it into our thread and delete the quoted HTML...

I can see what you are saying about the Nox and having under seat storage. I have not looked into it as of yet but I will check it out...

I think that Chevy did a good job with the storage closer to the driver. Even with the raised part you are talking about under the back seat there is not much you couldn't fit between the side pocket passenger side center console, Or the under radio storage, above radio storage, deep deep center console under arm rest and a very spacious glove department with planty more cup holders than other makes.

And about the color that we both have I am mostly a white color or black color truck/car guy. IMO it's one of the nest colors. The Black granite would come in second for me.

NoobNox

Reaction score

My guess is that the raised portion under the rear seats is where the gas tank starts and then extends into the cargo area. Or maybe its the catalytic converter/exhaust piping safely up and away from road debris. With a vehicle this size certain compromises have to be made to insure decent interior room as well as a respectable ground clearance. For example, I accept the fact that the rear seats don't fold completly flat...otherwise they would drop into a pocket on the floor (compromising ground clearance) or my passengers would have to sit on thinly padded, rock hard seats with no bolstering.

jecilop

Reaction score
Just updating...
I've seen under the car when it was on the rack for other issues. It is the location of the gas tank which is a shame because that is terrific storage space..Oh well.

Members online

No members online now.