2023 LT - Is there a factory remote start add=on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfalco1952

Reaction score
Bought a used 2-023 LT . II thought for sure that remote start was standard, but alas no. Remote start is very handy to have in the south Louisiana heat.
Is there a factory or 3rd party remote start system that can be installed ? Looking for recommendations . Thanks in advance

PoManNox

Reaction score
Getting a pair of new OEM FOBs with the R/S button on them would probably be $600+ in itself. I've seen dealers do shady stuff like tell customers "Oh sure, we can add that", when all they did was slap a crap aftermarket remote start unit it. I would avoid adding aftermarket at all cost.

It's funny to because my new to me 2021 Equinox LT AWD came with options like heated cloth seats and remote start. I didn't want either, but this particular LT was a good deal at the time.

Lee

Reaction score
It might be cheaper to have the OnStart Remote Access Plan. That costs $11.99 a month plus tax. $12.72 total.
This lets you remote start the car and unlock the doors from your phone.
I don't know if this will work without the factory installed remote start.

I had taken for granted if the car had keyless start you had remote start.

bearbait

Reaction score
Years ago I tried installing an aftermarket remote start on a blazer. After splicing into a bunch of different wires according to directions it did not work. A friend of mine who had several repair shops said 90% of electrical problems are caused by eirther aftermarket alarms or remote starters. Also with these modern computer run cars if you introduce anything foreign into the system it could cause problems. I would leave well
enough alone ! Just my opinion.

contridiction

Reaction score
I may ask or say some stupid things, I'm trying to dumb the question to my level. When we first got my wife's 2013 EQ, we thought it did not have remote start, because the buttton did not work. I'm assuming your remote does not have the arrow in a circle button.

On her previous truck a Jeep, you pressed the arrow/circle button twice, the horn honked and it cranked. After thinking about it for two weeks, I got online and looked it up, as we did not get an actual owners manual (there were about 4 badly torn pages in the glove compartment). That's when I found out you have to hit the lock button twice, then hit the start button. That was a year ago, my wife still can't get the hang of it, she hits the right buttons it just doesn't work for her. LOL I do it for her in the mornings when the frost is on the window, but she's SOL in the afternoon when it's like 100F.

Anyway back to the original question, does your FOB have the circle button. (again I work on the KISS principle the stupid question is on me not you.)

gfalco1952

Reaction score
No start button on theFOB unfortunately. I mean I assumed it would have that as standard equipment… geez I guess I should be glad their it hand crank windows 😀

NXR71

Reaction score
I'll be the contrarian here. :) We had a CompuSTAR 2-way remote start installed on our daughter's 2012 Fusion ten years ago and it has worked flawlessly since. "2-way" means the car sends a radio signal back to the remote to confirm the engine started. We did NOT get the cellular option. This looks like the current rendition: https://www.compustar.com/remotes/2wg15-lte?sid=28

I know range claims are often way over-exaggerated but that thing is amazing. She worked in one downtown office building and her car was in a nearby parking garage a few minutes walk away. She could go to a window facing the garage (but that could not see the garage due to another building) and the remote start worked every time.

We had the optional inside thermistor, a temperature sensor, installed. With that option the remote start automatically turned the rear window defogger on if the inside temp was 45 f or below (because we have real winters up here). She did not have climate control so she just set the system to defrost and high blower when she left the car.

NXR71

Reaction score
No start button on theFOB unfortunately. I mean I assumed it would have that as standard equipment… geez I guess I should be glad their it hand crank windows 😀
When our kids were little we needed a new car. We test drove one with hand-crank windows to try and save money. During the drive the older kid asked "Where is the button to open the windows?"

I replied "This car does not have buttons. You need to turn that crank."

She replied "Oh, like Grandma's car?"

Yeah, we bought power windows. :)

PoManNox

Reaction score
It's not about the aftermarket unit itself, it's the install. All the wire taps and associated nightmare that they wad up and stuff in there. Should you have some weird electrical issue down the road somewhere, no one is going to touch it. I installed a R/S unit myself in my Chevy pickup many years ago. There's a lot going on w/ the install..

Funny you should mention the crank window thing. One of my kid vehicles is a 2015 Nissan Versa sedan S-model. Roll up windows, no power locks, a $2 metal ignition key. I bought it used back in 2019. My kids were mystified that there were no buttons for stuff. It's the least favorite vehicle of my fleet (poor kids) and gets passed down to the lowest seniority LOL.

Oddly, the Versa came with a dealer installed aftermarket remote start when the previous owner purchased the vehicle new. The vehicle started suffering from a parasitic electrical draw that I couldn't track down. I reached up under the dash to find the remote start unit wadded up under there in a birds nest of wiring. I unplugged the 5-6 electrical connectors to the unit and removed it, leaving the harnesses in place. The parasitic draw went away.

NXR71

Reaction score
Agreed. With any industry it's rarely the actual technology that is the issue. It's almost always the implementation (installation).

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
Bought a used 2-023 LT . II thought for sure that remote start was standard, but alas no. Remote start is very handy to have in the south Louisiana heat.
Is there a factory or 3rd party remote start system that can be installed ? Looking for recommendations . Thanks in advance
I thought all LT’s had it and LS didn’t . Maybe that’s not the original key . Just a thought I could be wrong

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
Looked it up . The LT needs to have the comfort and convenience package to have the remote starter so if not then an LT could not be equipped with it .

Bronzebox

Reaction score
If you have the My Chevrolet app on your phone is remote start an option?

Members online

No members online now.