2019 Equinox water in spare tire well and floor of back seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Papi

Reaction score
Seeing on many many automotive boards across almost all brands, water damage from sunroof drains becoming clogged or dislodged. A common complaint of the style. I'll never own one.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Good luck, been dealing with the same thing and have had 4 diagnostic’s. The dealership insists it’s excessive debris clogging up the drains which seems to be the case but how that’s my fault is infuriating. I don’t even open the moonroof. This had cost me lots of money.
$20 in clear vehicle wrap and you don't have to worry anymore. That's what I did.

Linda

Reaction score
Hey Steve,

The sunroof has 4 drains. sometimes they fill up with debris and overflow and sometimes the drains crack, so keep them clean. I had 1 broken drain and it filled the spare tire area, soaked my headliner and my seat belts. Dealer fixed mine under certified preowned warranty after i made a fuss about it. The sunroof worked fine for a while, but i think the damage from that repair finally took it's toll, because it will no longer open and neither will the sun shade. The fuse is good, but they won't budge. If it leaks again, I'm covering the entire roof in clear vinyl wrap.
I don't understand why the leaking sunroof problem hasn't had a recall. For the first two years of owning my 2019 Chevy Equinox, the sunroof did not leak. Now, every time it rains hard or I take it through a car wash, my spare tire well is filled with water, in addition to the rear floorboards. I have had the entire interior of the car taken apart to try and determine the cause of the leak, in addition to having the drains cleaned and blown out numerous times, but it still leaks! Is there no recourse for this?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
I don't understand why the leaking sunroof problem hasn't had a recall. For the first two years of owning my 2019 Chevy Equinox, the sunroof did not leak. Now, every time it rains hard or I take it through a car wash, my spare tire well is filled with water, in addition to the rear floorboards. I have had the entire interior of the car taken apart to try and determine the cause of the leak, in addition to having the drains cleaned and blown out numerous times, but it still leaks! Is there no recourse for this?
Linda,

To get the NHTSA to force a recall it has to be a safety issue. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
If you remove the rear fuse box cover while it is leaking and the fuse box is wet, I suggest taking a photo and filing a complaint with the NHTSA. A wet fuse box is a safety issue. It could short out while driving. I recommend everyone with this issue report it. If enough people do, it will be investigated. Mine has leaked since i have owned it. It is ironically at the dealership today for this very issue. The drains break from vibrations. The hoses slip out of the drain because they shrink over time.

SteveK

Reaction score
Linda, blowing out drans with compressed air may blow off the small hoses just pushed on a metal barb. Mind you in all these discussion the drain is first plugged and then the water finds its way to the wheel well. BUt no one have found the orute taken.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
The dealer and the sunroof guy both say it is a bad design. The drains are too small. Mine filled with debris in a month. I only had it open once.

Members online

No members online now.