2018 Equinox 1st Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpart

Reaction score
Took my 18 in for its first oil change, tire rotation and multi-point inspection. I also wanted them to check the AWD system as it's not returning to FWD after the engine is shut off and the vehicle locked as well as any potential computer / systems updates.

My service advisor told me the AWD system is performing as intended as they couldn't pull any codes and seemed to believe the AWD system should NOT revert to FWD when the engine is shut off and the car is locked. I even showed him and the tech the info below on p. 232 of the OM.

He said everything else is fine. I kind of doubt that, at this point.

In reference to the AWD system, p. 232 of the owners manual states"

Drive Systems

"All-Wheel Drive

Vehicles with this feature can
operate in All-Wheel
Drive (AWD) Mode.

The AWD system delivers power to
all four wheels and the system
adjusts as needed to improve
traction.

Press the AWD switch on the center
console to activate the system. The
AWD light will flash briefly while the
system is engaging and stay lit to
indicate AWD is active. Press the
button again to disable the system.
The light will flash briefly while the
system disables and then stay off.

The AWD Mode will stay selected
until the mode is changed. AWD
Mode is canceled with each ignition
cycle
"​

I'm going to have to dig into the further. If anyone here has any factual insight, it would be appreciated.

kastner03

Reaction score
i agree that it should work as stated in the manual but this also a really stupid thing if they intended it to work that way. most of us in the snow belt will get super annoyed having to push the button every time you restart the car all winter it should stay on till disengaged, there's no real reason not to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kastner03

Reaction score
The OM is also wrong on the function of Onstar .

i hope it's wrong about the awd function i would use awd a lot in the winter and having it disengage every time you restart is a lot of added wear on the rear axle disconnect and other items awd and the way it functions, there's no real reason to disconnect it in the way that gm is doing it the old equinox system worked perfectly fine. i can see plenty of people who upgrade from an older nox or any other awd vehicle forgetting to engage it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I keep mine disengaged for better gas mileage . My 2014 with full time AWD I was getting about 20-21 MPG .2018, 27-28 .

gpart

Reaction score
I keep mine disengaged for better gas mileage . My 2014 with full time AWD I was getting about 20-21 MPG .2018, 27-28 .

I also keep AWD disengaged unless weather / road conditions might warrant more secure traction. I'm going to get to the bottom of this...

Members online