2011 Equinox Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg1456

Reaction score
Around 53,000 miles I had to have the Catalytic Converter changed out. Nw at 127,000 miles it needs to be replaced again. Has anyone else had this issue? The dealer is saying it is because of the mileage.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Ours has 105k on the factory Catalytic Converter.

Have you had the vehicle tuned up? I would be interested to know if you have had the plugs changed at any point. I mean, I normally change those Ac Delco plugs and if your vehicle was services with a junky spark plug or not at all. I fouled plug can cause some upstream problems that the computer is trying to fix by adding more fuel and air. This would make your vehicle run extremely lean with a lot more carbon emissions(causing the converter to go bad faster). It may not be enough to throw a engine light but any mechanic with the right computer would be able to see a pending or intermittent codes.

Just a guess but it's what I am leaning towards. Keep us updated, obviously at this point you can't really escape replacing the bad part but don't let them throw anything other than an OEM converter to ensure this time it lasts.

I hope this is helpful!

Svard75

Reaction score
First you have to determine if it's actually the converter that is the problem. How was this diagnosed? Was it a P code? What code?

Catalytic converters were designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle. If they are requiring replacement it's likely an engine related issue which is causing the failure of the cat. For example I owned an Infiniti M35 with the VQ35DE engine. They are infamous for leading valvecovers which leads to oil entering the combustion chamber and making it's way down to the cat. Oil and Cats to not like each other and Oil wins that battle.

I heard the 2.4L ecotec engines required rebuilding by GM due to excessive Oil use. This could be the catalyst for your converters death.

G089372

Reaction score
Have an '11 Nox with the 4 cylinder engine. Engine oil problem caused timing chain to stretch, damaging cam and cylinders. Dealer replaced 100% under warranty. Afterwards, I got an intermittant Catalytic converter error. Logical. The engine ran hot from damage, burning off the inside of the converter. You may have had the same problem. Will have to replace my converter eventually.

Members online