2010 Equinox LED's added to top of headlight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I saw somewhere on the net that people were taking 28" (2 sets of 14" Led's) from auto zone for $26 to their headlight surroundings...

I wanted to tackle this for those who might like to do something like this...

I have seen them around fog lights and other interior and exterior locations.

So here is what I started with...

These are the LED's in the package. These are different then a lot of the other strips because the light can be seen from side view where others are centered on the strips...
2011-12-27_15-25-55_541.jpg

Here they are lit up!
2011-12-27_15-26-07_373.jpg

Here is what you see after the install... I really wanted to place the strip at the bottom of the headlight housing. But after removing the inner fender liner and all the bolts from top side on the head light I found that the fender might have to be removed to get to the bottom screw on the headlight.. There was also a possibility since the headlight sits really tight and clean to the bumper so there might not be room.

2011-12-27_18-34-26_510.jpg

Here are some shots with it lit up...

What I did was I tucked the strip into the top of the headlight between that and the gasket. There is a adhesive backing to the LED strip. I don't see how there could be a moisture problem down the road but standby because I will use a slight amount of silicone if need be.

2011-12-27_18-35-19_799.jpg

2011-12-27_18-36-05_374.jpg

2011-12-27_18-36-24_669.jpg

2011-12-27_18-40-18_319.jpg

2011-12-27_18-38-38_880.jpg

2011-12-27_18-38-52_987.jpg

2011-12-27_18-39-03_692.jpg

2011-12-27_18-40-33_337.jpg

As for wiring it in I spliced both sides of the Positive lead into a red power wire and inserted that red wire into fuse slot #17 for the Parking/headlights.

As for the ground on the passenger side I attached it to a fender bolt and on the driver side I attached it to the bolt that fastens the master cylinder as that is also to be used as a ground for jump starting...

I don't think the pictures do it justice! So I did a quick video...

Bowtieman21

Reaction score
not to bad, give you props for doing it. not sure how i like it though. not sure about it being right above the parking lights.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
not to bad, give you props for doing it. not sure how i like it though. not sure about it being right above the parking lights.

Yeah. I know what you mean but I think with these headlights you would not notice it as much with its brightness. The Amber part is not all that bright so can see it...

There is one screw at the base of the head light and I believe you have to take off the fender to get to it... The head light sits so tight to the bumper I am skeptical that it would install correctly. Most headlights seam to have a 1/8th of a gasketed gap around them. These do not.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Ok I found out you have to remove the bumper to get to the headlights. At that rate I might not need to remove the head lights. I am contemplating trying this.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
They don't really add anything for visibility. I mean, when I pull into the garage I can see a blue hue and maybe on foggy nights but other than that it is simply for looks!

12nox

Reaction score
They don't really add anything for visibility. I mean, when I pull into the garage I can see a blue hue and maybe on foggy nights but other than that it is simply for looks!

Wow I like them. Can you post some day time pics to see how aftermarket they look? Do any wires show? Really cool! Im here the police around here hate them but as long as you run amber or clear I should be fine.

12nox

Reaction score
will you have a moment to take a day time pic this weekend?
I am almost forsure I want to do my headlights like that.

With virginia being a commonwealth and being so close to DC things are much different here. I had a dukes of hazzard sheriff antique police car and was told to either remove the decals and the blue lens or get it out of the state. We moved it to carolina and the sheriff's down there just love it! They pull up next to us on the road and tell us to turn the lights on and blow the siren. I think thats a lil overkill but we comply with whatever they ask us.

I remember about 15 years ago the cool blue headlights came out. They didnt last long at autozone because everyone was returning them. State troopers were fining drivers for using them because they were blue instead of white. In virginia we have to get a permit to have any flashing white or amber lights. I have a directional arrow on my NOX when I work accidents and either have to get a permit or install it after I pull over for the accident. They consider this off road lighting. During state inspection the light (if installed) must be covered up by a brown paper bag or fancy covers to pass.

I have worked law enforcement and security for several years and have been flooded with wackos imitating officers.

Members online

No members online now.