2008 Equinox Driving Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solericardo

Reaction score
For starters let me tell you what has gone on. I bought this Equinox in Nov 2010 and first noticed this problem in December. I made the dealership aware of this and after three months of nothing, I talked to the GM today and he informs me they do not have the right equipment in their shop. This same dealr sold the vehicle with missing body clips, TPM sensors were replaced but not "set up", battery died in less than two months and the dealership doesn't claim responsibility for anything. I finally got them to pay half for the battery and labour to install. Anyway here is my problem. When driving at hwy speeds, the transmission shifts into fifth gear no problem. If I let the engine rpms fall to approx. 1500-1800 the engine will buck/hesitate. I have been checking out other threads and forums and saw that someone mentioned getting the PCM updated. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their Equinox and if so how was the problem fixed?

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I have not personally experienced this issue but it sounds like a PCM tune or dealer reflash may be your best bet as a possible fix for this issue.

solericardo

Reaction score
Thx Brian. Got an appointment set up in two weeks. Still trying to find someone else who can do it cheaper though. Will see if I make that appointment in two weeks or not.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Is this a 2008? If so I'm not sure of any PCM update on the setup

Sorry to hear about your issues...

From what it sounds like to me, it is an issue with the transmission. The problem you are experiencing is most likely torque converter lock up, it is engaging then disengaging.

Hopefully that helps some. It could be a sensor (would show up in a scan of codes), the torque converter, low tranny fluid, or dirty fluid

bfp59

Reaction score
We have an 08 and although I am not familiar with the trouble you are having, we did have a buck/hesitate problem at a certain speed when accelerating. It turned out to be a plug and wire problem. Shortly after it was replaced we received a recall (only if you are experiencing the problem) and an extended warranty to 100,000 miles on this issue. I just thought I would throw it out there just in case.

solericardo

Reaction score
Well I found a guy to reflash my computer for me. $50 and he is a certified auto technician instructor. He has also written a book on reflashing computers. He is going to check out everything before he reflashes and let me know if there is an update for the transmission control module. The reprogramming is not covered under warranty, I checked on that. Hopefully this will solve my problems. Did I mention he will also come to my home to do it? Can't beat a $50 price tag for service like that.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
good deal from the sounds of it.
Seen 2010 in your post and that messed me up LOL

solericardo

Reaction score
Well there was no available updates for the TCM, so needless to say there was no flash done. After a trip to the dealer to see if they can figure out what is wrong, they say that there are no DTC being shown by the computer but during the road test the techs felt the hesitation. They were able to duplicate the concern. I was informed of a TSB that they would have to run through and may take anywhere from 1 to 5 hours to complete, if they find anything. After doing some more researching I have found a bulletin about the camshaft position sensor having pushed pins on the connector side. I was wondering where this sensor is located so that I could check the connector out myself. Pictures would be handy too if you have them.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken the sensor is on the passenger side. I would suggest turning the steering wheel to the left and jack up the car like it says to in your owners manual. Remove the tire from the vehicle and any inner wheel well that may be in the way. You may not need too.

The sensor should be on the side of the motor if this is the v6 3.4...

I would recommend buying the sensor or going to the parts store and ask them for a print out. I think its like a $26 part.

Let me know if this helps you with your findings.

solericardo

Reaction score
Well finally got the hesitation figured out. Turned out to be a plug and wire issue. Seems as though the Equinox's were built with poor plugs and wires. Misfiring on cylinders 2,4 and 6. Now just trying to figure out the rattle in the front end, guessing it is probably just a shock and strut thing. Also gotta figure out why the front driver side brake sticks after getting warm.

oleg1981

Reaction score
Well finally got the hesitation figured out. Turned out to be a plug and wire issue. Seems as though the Equinox's were built with poor plugs and wires. Misfiring on cylinders 2,4 and 6. Now just trying to figure out the rattle in the front end, guessing it is probably just a shock and strut thing. Also gotta figure out why the front driver side brake sticks after getting warm.

don't know about the plugs and wires. my'n are 180000km on a car.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts