2005-2006 Equinox+ Other GM Ignition Switches Are Still Warranted *Updated*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95-007

Reaction score
** I've pasted the ignition switch warranty info directly after this insert. From My Chevrolet App / Warranty Information**

SPECIAL COVERAGE WARRANTY 14319
Certain 2005-2006 model year (MY) Chevrolet Equinox, 2006 MY Pontiac Torrent and 2002-2007 MY Saturn VUE vehicles may have a condition in which the ignition key may be removed when the ignition is not in the “Off” position. If the ignition key is removed when the ignition is not in the “Off” position, unintended motion may occur: (a) for an automatic transmission, if the transmission is not in “Park”; or (b) for a manual transmission, if the parking brake is not engaged and the transmission is not in reverse gear. This could result in a vehicle crash and occupant or pedestrian injuries. This special coverage covers the condition described above for the life of the vehicle. This means regardless of when the vehicle was originally placed in service or its current mileage or ownership, the repairs described in this bulletin will be paid for by GM.

(Original)
In another post, I mentioned that I took our '05 Equinox in for warranty work in 2023. This was for replacement of the ignition switch. We received the car with a perpetual GM warranty letter in the glove box stating that if the key were ever removable while in the run position, the lockset would be replaced, free of charge. Run position removable keys were convenient in the 60's and earlier so we could get into the trunk or unlock the glovebox without stopping the engine. We live in a diffrent world now where this can be a problem.
This obviously applied to our 2005. Ours was the 7th off the line that first year and all parts were first design, quite a few having been redesigned over the years, so I dont know if this warranty applies to all 1st Gens or not. The best thing to do is ask after your lockset develops the problem. If changed, the core is keyed the same as the original and 2 new keys are supplied.
In our case, the key-in switch within the lockset had stopped working some years earlier. Replacement got the (key-In) door chime back, as well as the inability to auto lock the drivers door with the key left in the lockset.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.