Rear vibration comes and goes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willcruz82

Reaction score
2006 Chevy Equinox LT owner here.... Here we go, So we noticed there was a humming noise coming from the front right passenger side. Also, the dash lights were on for the traction control and the ABS. We changed out the front hub bearing (did the brakes while we were at it rotors pads etc...) and everything was great. the T/C, and ABS lights went away and no more humming.. The new hub bearings fixed the issue. NOW a few weeks go by, and now there is a horrible vibration that comes from the rear, feels like rear drivers side but also a little centered. The vibration can only be described as going over the rumble strips on the freeway. It comes and goes and it happens at various speeds. We thought that this too could be the result of bad REAR hub bearings. So, after fighting to replace them, I got it done (did the rear brakes as well drum pads etc...) However, that DID NOT fix the problem. The vibration is still there. Please if anyone has a fix for this please share. I am limited on funds and would really like to fix the direct problem instead of spending money on parts that do not need to be replaced.

Last edited:

Willcruz82

Reaction score
Going to try this fix.

EVERYTHING I see people posting throughout the internet suggests to replace the U-Joint, and the Center Support Bearing. So this is what I will be doing. I will post back in a few days to let everyone know my progress. WISH ME LUCK... LOL.

Willcruz82

Reaction score
OK... So, today I got the Center support bearing and the U-joint next to the support bearing all switched out. The heavy vibration and rumble strip noise is GONE. the support bearing was thrashed. I got the drive shaft off no problem but to remove the joint and the bearing was a B*tch so I brought it to the garage and the removed the old ones and mounted the new ones for $60. There is still a very small vibration so I am thinking that since i bolted up the support bearing before bolting up the front drive shaft that the support bearing may just need to be loosened and then adjusted and re-tightened. However, the main problem is gone. hopefully a few twists here and there will fix the rest. I will report back.

Members online

No members online now.