2010 Equinox - time to renew the four corners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyer58

Reaction score
The car has 130+k miles on it and I've been driving for over 2+ years now with bad CV axles clicking away. I figured no hurry since they're pretty tough. Also the front brakes rotors are probably warped because I can feel it pulsing when brakes are applied. Since I now have brand new tires I figure it's time to get to work. Also the struts and shocks are long overdue.

So I pulled the $1200 trigger at RockAuto and will get to work shortly.

This is the parts collection so for for one side.

Monroe premium shocks/struts, SKF hub and bearings, GM lower arm with ball joints, Raybestos brake rotors and pads,1ap2.jpg

Rear shocks installed and I already notice a difference.

1ap2.jpg

Flyer58

Reaction score
Front end completed on both sides. Each side took about four hours work spread out over six hours with breaks and other stuff getting in the way. Smooth ride now with no more rattles or clickity-clacks when turning. Now off to the alignment shop and change some of the fluids.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 215353.jpg

2012Equinox2.4Turbo

Reaction score
It sure adds up quickly, doesn't it? I remember the last time I did all that. Night and day difference.

Don't let anyone tell you that your transmission fluid can't be changed or that your transmission is not serviceable. That's exactly what the dealer told my wife years ago when she took it in for a service. I ended up having to drain and flush it myself every 50k, but it's been worth it considering the Equinox now has 230k miles on the original transmission.

Flyer58

Reaction score
It sure adds up quickly, doesn't it? I remember the last time I did all that. Night and day difference.

Don't let anyone tell you that your transmission fluid can't be changed or that your transmission is not serviceable. That's exactly what the dealer told my wife years ago when she took it in for a service. I ended up having to drain and flush it myself every 50k, but it's been worth it considering the Equinox now has 230k miles on the original transmission.
Yes, the "While I have it apart" effect kicked in but it's worth it to do it once and be done. I've had transmission fluid changes in several cars and they are very specific about the terminology they use. I guess it's because most people say oil and filter change while the shop will only change or flush most of the fluid. Also accessing the filter or screen, if it even has one, will be very expensive. Some transmissions dry hold 10 qts. while you're lucky to drain 6 qts due to the torque converter and maze of channels holding more. As you have proven, transmission fluid service is important and most people just blow it off. Doubly so for a CVT transmission. Same holds true for brake fluids changes to prevent corrosion.
Cheers.

2012Equinox2.4Turbo

Reaction score
Yes, the "While I have it apart" effect kicked in but it's worth it to do it once and be done. I've had transmission fluid changes in several cars and they are very specific about the terminology they use. I guess it's because most people say oil and filter change while the shop will only change or flush most of the fluid. Also accessing the filter or screen, if it even has one, will be very expensive. Some transmissions dry hold 10 qts. while you're lucky to drain 6 qts due to the torque converter and maze of channels holding more. As you have proven, transmission fluid service is important and most people just blow it off. Doubly so for a CVT transmission. Same holds true for brake fluids changes to prevent corrosion.
Cheers.
Our Chevy dealer actually told us that the transmission in our Equinox was non-serviceable and they could not change the fluid. That was the first time I ever heard of such a thing. I knew the filter was internal, but even if it had a pan, you're not getting all of the fluid out unless you flush it anyway. I won't usually touch the vehicle until it leaves warranty, but at 50k miles, I wanted the fluid flushed, so I just did it myself. It sure has paid off. Wish I could say the same about the engine, but I was able to nurse it along to about 225k mi before I replaced the pistons. How is your engine doing on your 2010 at 130k mi? Is it using any oil? Do you know if yours qualified for the piston/ring replacement?

Flyer58

Reaction score
The engine is doing OK for over 130k. It uses about one quart of oil every 3000. I think the time has passed for the extended passion ring warranty but not sure. A few years ago I had the dealer change the timing chain after a tensioner bolt snapped and since then the oil consumption has been less. I don't know what the connection is there but when I asked about the problem the dealer talked me out of it.

There's a few videos about the transmission flush where you disconnect the oil cooler line and run clean fluid through with the engine running. That method uses about four additional quarts during the flush but that's the method I'll be using. Otherwise it's a simple process.

Members online

No members online now.