Prices on GM extended warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronzebox

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. Bought a 2024 Equinox LT model back in February. Inquired about an extended warranty but the dealer where I bought it doesn’t sell GM warranty, only some aftermarket company called Ethos that I never heard of before.
Tried another dealer and they do sell GM brand but were trying to steer me towards Ally which I have heard of because I had it on an older 2012 Malibu.
I don’t drive much but want an extended warranty because of all the electronics on newer vehicles. Looking to get a 7 or 8 year Platinum plan with 60000 miles.
Also own a 2022 Ford Maverick and on the forums they have a couple dealers that sell Ford plans at $100 over cost, was able to get the top tier warranty 8 year/60000 for $1250.
Anyone know of similar GM dealers that sell warranties for a small markup ? If not what kind of prices are people paying for a 7/70000 plan ?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
What you are asking about is a GM Protection Plan

Regarding aftermarket/third party warranties, I know a lot of the aftermarket warranties are difficult to get paid out. And like the GM PP, cover only specific things.

My recommendation is for each vehicle you would buy a warranty on, instead take that cash $2-3,000 likely and put it into a vehicle repair savings account. Considering warranties are money making for the company, not you, over time you will eventually have enough money saved up to cover all expenses because you spend more on warranties than you would on repairs.

This way, you are paying yourself rather than paying someone else.

Bronzebox

Reaction score
What you are asking about is a GM Protection Plan

Regarding aftermarket/third party warranties, I know a lot of the aftermarket warranties are difficult to get paid out. And like the GM PP, cover only specific things.

My recommendation is for each vehicle you would buy a warranty on, instead take that cash $2-3,000 likely and put it into a vehicle repair savings account. Considering warranties are money making for the company, not you, over time you will eventually have enough money saved up to cover all expenses because you spend more on warranties than you would on repairs.

This way, you are paying yourself rather than paying someone else.
I would never pay two to three thousand for an extended warranty but if I can get a GM or Ford warranty for $1500 or less it would be worth it to me for peace of mind.
The main concern for me in this day and age is all the electronics that vehicles have now.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
I would never pay two to three thousand for an extended warranty but if I can get a GM or Ford warranty for $1500 or less it would be worth it to me for peace of mind.
The main concern for me in this day and age is all the electronics that vehicles have now.
Right, but the GM warranties don't cost $1500 or less.

Even the GM CPO which primarily offers an extension of powertrain by 40,000 miles is $1,000. If you want the higher end plans that cover more than a few basic parts you're going to shell out the cash. That's why I recommend self-insuring because over time you'll save money.

Members online

No members online now.