Day time running light Canada law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsb

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am exporting my 2022 Chevy Equinox from USA to Canada, everything seem to check the inspection expect the DLR, does anyone know How I can activate this ?

Context

My car has a Daytime running light ON when the light switch is on auto mode, however the Canada tire wants this daytime running light on even when switch is off, but the car is in drive. and when I switch to OFF the light switch the DLR wont com n , it only comes on when the car is on auto. any idea how can this be turned on such that the DLR can be on regardless of the switch position(on or off)

bagbyjw

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is any other option, here is what the owners manual says on page 146/147

Daytime Running
Lamps (DRL)
DRL can make it easier for others to
see the front of your vehicle during
the day. Fully functional DRL are
required on all vehicles first sold in
Canada.
The DRL system comes on in
daylight when the following
conditions are met:
. The ignition is on.
. The exterior lamp control is
in AUTO.
. The vehicle is not in P (Park).
. The light sensor determines it is
daytime.

When the DRL are on, the taillamps,
sidemarker lamps, instrument panel
lights, and other lamps will not be
on. The instrument cluster will be lit.
The DRL turn off when the
headlamps are turned to O or the
ignition is off. For vehicles first sold
in Canada, the DRL can only be
turned off when the vehicle is
parked.
The regular headlamp system
should be turned on when needed

95-007

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am exporting my 2022 Chevy Equinox from USA to Canada, everything seem to check the inspection expect the DLR, does anyone know How I can activate this ?

Context

My car has a Daytime running light ON when the light switch is on auto mode, however the Canada tire wants this daytime running light on even when switch is off, but the car is in drive. and when I switch to OFF the light switch the DLR wont com n , it only comes on when the car is on auto. any idea how can this be turned on such that the DLR can be on regardless of the switch position(on or off)
I took a look at the 2005 model lighting schematics in my service manual. Assuming little has changed with DRL's between '05 and '22 aside from the DRL-OFF ability, and without describing the likely modification, either the service department knows of this action required or, they have a modified DRL relay to accomodate the Canadian DOT requirement.
Sorry to be so vague but, I'll experiment on my car but never ask anyone else to directly do the same with theirs.
Best of luck

Members online