Transmission Flush in 2010 FWD with 6T45 6-speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyer58

Reaction score
Automatic transmission fluid change done today. Drained out the old fluid, connect a drain tube to the oil cooler (Royal PIA) and flushed new fluid through until it comes out the tube cherry red. I didn’t expect too much of a performance change but it does shift smoother now.

Draining alone doesn’t do it. Unlike the engine, there’s way too many channels and valves plus the torque converter which retain fluid, all together they hold almost 4 quarts and won’t drain by themselves, they need to be flushed out with the engine running.

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:

2012Equinox2.4Turbo

Reaction score
I sleep better at night knowing my fluids are clean. I expect my equinox to last me 500k mi. It's over half way there already.

Are you looking for any performance gains out of this vehicle? While a bit pricey, the K&N intake makes a noticeable difference. So does tuning the engine and transmission tables.

Flyer58

Reaction score
No performance desire for this car as it's our grocery getter and for long road trips.

Be careful with the K&N filter by keeping it clean and oiled. Lots of grit can get through so if someone puts it on an off road Blazer they're asking for trouble. A good paper filter does a better job filtering and will have the same pressure drop through it as a K&N. There lots of comparison testing out there.

Cheers!

Last edited:

SONNY88

Reaction score
Have you tried using a MITYVAC oil/fluid extractor ?
You can possibly run the tubing at the transmission add hole, by the engine to suck out the fluid. ( going to try it soon)

I use it to drain my oil on a 2017 (2.4), it sucks out every last drop.
Actually sucks on the bottom of the pan, getting out more than thru the drain plug.
Takes about 12-13 minutes to drain/vacuum the oil out.

Flyer58

Reaction score
Have you tried using a MITYVAC oil/fluid extractor ?
You can possibly run the tubing at the transmission add hole, by the engine to suck out the fluid. ( going to try it soon)

I use it to drain my oil on a 2017 (2.4), it sucks out every last drop.
Actually sucks on the bottom of the pan, getting out more than thru the drain plug.
Takes about 12-13 minutes to drain/vacuum the oil out.
I've used that type pump to drain engine oil from an inboard boost motor but I don't think it will remove all the fluid in an automatic transmission. The torque converter and other areas retain too much fluid.
Without seeing beyond filler plug to what's inside I think that it's all blocked by internal parts si the tube might not reach the bottom.

2012Equinox2.4Turbo

Reaction score
No performance desire for this car as it's our grocery getter and for long road trips.

Be careful with the K&N filter by keeping it clean and oiled. Lots of grit can get through so if someone puts it on an off road Blazer they're asking for trouble. A good paper filter does a better job filtering and will have the same pressure drop through it as a K&N. There lots of comparison testing out there.

Cheers!
The stock airbox with a paper filter cannot compete with a K&N system. From the perspective of a tuner, we see it in our logs and make adjustments accordingly. I've been using K&N for 35 years without any problems on or off the road. I'd be more concerned with the filth as a result of DI and a clogged PCV system on this engine than an improperly oiled K&N filter, to be honest. Keep an eye on your engine oil level. The LAF and LEA engines have a tendency to run low without any warning on the dash. There is no low oil level sensor from the factory. The result is a lack of lubrication on the timing chain assembly and premature wear and/or damage to the plastic guides. This will lead to a sloppy chain, camshafts jumping time, and potentially interference between your pistons and valves. I have seen this all too often on the LAF/LEA engines.

penha539

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm a newbie here. I noticed that you are not talking about any filter replacement when changing the fluid. Is that right? thanks!!

Flyer58

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm a newbie here. I noticed that you are not talking about any filter replacement when changing the fluid. Is that right? thanks!!
There is a filter but changing that is usually left for the professionals and even they recommend only a routine fluid change unless you're having major shifting problems. This is common with many cars and trucks.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.