Tires, Tires, Tires, which ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

straykat

Reaction score
New tires needed. I have looked and don't seem to find what would be good tire for a 2019 Equinox LT with Michelin's Premier LTX, 225/65r17 tires. The original 4 tires got 29,000 miles and all are showing lots of sidewall cracking all the way around and were never run low. The tread is about 3/4 worn out. They are the Michelin's Premier LTX of which I am not a fan of but that's what it came with. I live in California desert area and drive sanely, easy starts, don't push it through corners, no hard braking. I find that front wheel drive cars are really noise because of tire noise inside. I am looking for tires that are quieter and last longer time, rot/cracking wise. Notice I didn't say cheap. I don't drive in the snow of heavy rain and if I do I slow down. I lived in northern Michigan for 30 years and know how to drive in severe weather conditions and that means slow down. Anyone have any suggestion's for tires in that size that they installed and think they are quieter?

As a side note, my auto stop wasn't working anymore and I liked that it didn't work, but the battery was the original and I replaced it after it was 5 years old and now the auto stop is working again and I hate it, annoying and I don't care that it saves me a teaspoon of gas every time I drive it. The total amount I save in gas costs won't begin to pay for a new starter and flywheel when the wear out.

bagbyjw

Reaction score
For your Auto Stop issue, I just reach over and turn it off when I start my vehicle. If your inclined to install something then this forum search might help

Auto Stop Function Cable

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
New tires needed. I have looked and don't seem to find what would be good tire for a 2019 Equinox LT with Michelin's Premier LTX, 225/65r17 tires. The original 4 tires got 29,000 miles and all are showing lots of sidewall cracking all the way around and were never run low. The tread is about 3/4 worn out. They are the Michelin's Premier LTX of which I am not a fan of but that's what it came with. I live in California desert area and drive sanely, easy starts, don't push it through corners, no hard braking. I find that front wheel drive cars are really noise because of tire noise inside. I am looking for tires that are quieter and last longer time, rot/cracking wise. Notice I didn't say cheap. I don't drive in the snow of heavy rain and if I do I slow down. I lived in northern Michigan for 30 years and know how to drive in severe weather conditions and that means slow down. Anyone have any suggestion's for tires in that size that they installed and think they are quieter?

As a side note, my auto stop wasn't working anymore and I liked that it didn't work, but the battery was the original and I replaced it after it was 5 years old and now the auto stop is working again and I hate it, annoying and I don't care that it saves me a teaspoon of gas every time I drive it. The total amount I save in gas costs won't begin to pay for a new starter and flywheel when the wear out.
When you start looking, make sure you pop open the drivers side door and look at the information sticker. That will give you the correct size and speed rating for the tire. Using that information, you can start looking around. And don't let people at the tire shop convince you that you can get another tire, just go with the size and speed rating listed because that's what the vehicle was designed for. Speed rating also affects handling performance.

We thought the Michelin set was OK so we bought them for the second set. On our third set we went with BFG Advantage from Costco because it has a high mileage warranty but also Three Peak and M&S.

Last edited:

Vondoman

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 2020 Equinox. It’s got 38K and I’m shopping for replacements. My main focus is to get the quietest tire. I’ve done a ton of research and have come up with several …..
* Continental Pure Contact LS
* Yokohama Avid Ascend GT
* Michelin Defender 2
* Cooper Pro Control
* Goodyear Assurance Comfort Drive
There are also tires that have insulation attached to the inside of the tire.
Some folks say they notice a big difference.. others .. not so much see pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpeg
    IMG_2209.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 4

AmmoJoe

Reaction score

I bought the auto start disabler harnes off Amazon. Was like $20 and it’s been years since my 2019 has shut off (2019 doesn’t have a button to disable).

I replaced my tires at about 33-34k and installed Good Year Weather Ready tires and I’m mostly happy with them. I also have a 2022 and that rides nicer on the tires that comes with it, but I’m sure the suspension components having more mileage on them on the 2019 are also contributing.

wootler

Reaction score

Can't believe you only got 29K out of the Michelin's ... Maybe an alignment issue??? The original Michelin tires on our 2018 Nox were just replaced in January 2024 at about 92K. And I could have probably stretched them out a bit longer. But, I decided to replace them with these Hankook tires that also have a 90K mile warranty. We've only put about 3K miles on them so far, but they are quiet and feel solid in heavy rain and wet roads. Plus they were not overpriced (IMO) like the Michelins. Pretty sure they are manufactured in Tennessee. Good luck!!

Attachments

• HANKOOK TIRES.jpg
    HANKOOK TIRES.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
Can't believe you only got 29K out of the Michelin's ... Maybe an alignment issue??? The original Michelin tires on our 2018 Nox were just replaced in January 2024 at about 92K. And I could have probably stretched them out a bit longer. But, I decided to replace them with these Hankook tires that also have a 90K mile warranty. We've only put about 3K miles on them so far, but they are quiet and feel solid in heavy rain and wet roads. Plus they were not overpriced (IMO) like the Michelins. Pretty sure they are manufactured in Tennessee. Good luck!!
Few factors. Obviously could be lack of rotation. Could also be what the person thinks is worn out. I run my tires down to 2/32 (down to wear bars) as long as it's summer, but sometimes people think worn out is between 4/32 to 5/32 which for some tires is just over 50% of the tread life - a lot of life left. Also, those tires do have extra siping on them. I've noticed that heavily siped tires wear out faster.

bagbyjw

Reaction score
Pretty sure they are manufactured in Tennessee. Good luck!!
Hankook has major manufacturing facilities located across South Korea, China, Hungary, Indonesia, and is constructing a new plant in Clarksville, Tennessee

Members online