Thinking of buying an Equinox-need your opinions/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckm91377

Reaction score
Hello! I'm going to be looking at an Equinox tomorrow and need the board's opinions and thoughts on what I need to check out and on the price being asked by the seller. The vehicle in question is a 2005 LS with 113k miles. The body and interior look really good and seller is claiming no mechanical issues other than wheel bearings which are being replaced as part of the sale. The asking price is $2500. I do live in the rust belt-do these have any specific underbody rust issues I should be on the lookout for? I am knowledgeable when it comes to cars and working on them but know basically nothing about these vehicles. Any suggestions/advice/warnings/or other comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

rcchevy

Reaction score
I have owned a 2008 Equinox AWD LTZ 3.4L for the past 9 years and have had a very good experience mechanically. I do my maintenance so I am very familiar with it. It consumes about 1 qt of engine oil about every 900 miles. It's not burning or leaking oil, so I live with it.
The worst has been the undercarriage corrosion which is a lot and everywhere. Since I couldn't afford a newer car at the time I dedicated myself to spraying Rust-Oleum black spray paint plus injecting antirust into every hollow cavity with a long wand which sold for this purpose. Originally just thought to extend Equinox's life to about 5 years but, have been so successful that now I am keeping it until it dies.
You don't have to lift the car to get a good idea by laying on the ground but to be sure, lifting it is necessary for a complete assessment.
Ask any questions.

Last edited:

KristiJI

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good find with that Equinox! Since you're in the rust belt, definitely check the underbody for any signs of corrosion, especially around the frame and suspension components. Given the mileage, it's also wise to inspect the usual suspects like brakes, suspension, and transmission. With the wheel bearings being replaced, that's already a plus. As for the price, $2500 seems reasonable if everything checks out mechanically and cosmetically. Just be thorough in your inspection, and you should be good to go! Good luck with the viewing tomorrow!

KristiJI

Reaction score
If you're in need of a report or window sticker based on your VIN, Vehicles Report is your go-to solution. They excel in delivering genuine window sticker replicas using VIN numbers, all at a reasonable price and with quick service. Check out a sample below.
Ford-2.jpg

cavell

Reaction score
Thanks kristi. Is that ur real name?

Members online