Electrical issues, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

senko422

Reaction score
Just purchased. 2008 Equinox that has some electrical issues.
1. Air bag light is on, says it is a sensor but trying to narrow down to which one.
2. doors do not lock or unlock from fob or button. I hear the click with them trying to lock or unlock. Seems like there is not enough power
3. when you open door it beeps like an alarm is going to turn on, beeping stops when you start car.
4, Speedometer doesn't go below 20 mph, it is correct speed when driving over 40mph tested with a gps and leader car, when at complete stop says 20 mph.
5. Turn signals do not turn off after turning have to do it manually.

1 owner car no electric has ever been cut, no aftermarket stereo, bone stock, 79,000 miles
I am wondering where to start or if anyone knows a sensor, ground or anything that would affect all these things at once.

going to check battery and all fuses and I was thinking the clock spring in the steering wheel maybe?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

senko422

Reaction score
all fuses are good. battery good plus put new terminals on
didnt fix anything
ANY IDEAS?

95-007

Reaction score
Just purchased. 2008 Equinox that has some electrical issues.
1. Air bag light is on, says it is a sensor but trying to narrow down to which one.
2. doors do not lock or unlock from fob or button. I hear the click with them trying to lock or unlock. Seems like there is not enough power
3. when you open door it beeps like an alarm is going to turn on, beeping stops when you start car.
4, Speedometer doesn't go below 20 mph, it is correct speed when driving over 40mph tested with a gps and leader car, when at complete stop says 20 mph.
5. Turn signals do not turn off after turning have to do it manually.

1 owner car no electric has ever been cut, no aftermarket stereo, bone stock, 79,000 miles
I am wondering where to start or if anyone knows a sensor, ground or anything that would affect all these things at once.

going to check battery and all fuses and I was thinking the clock spring in the steering wheel maybe?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going to try and help break these down a little.
1. The air bag sensor that is exposed to the most weather is behind the grill.
2. You could possibly have a corroded connection at the common power line to the door lock solenoids. One odd thing to check is try a new fuse. It's rare, but I've seen instances where fuses that were stressed then heated near their opening point had become resistive, cutting voltage to the load.
3. spray some graphite lubricant into the ignition lock; do not use WD-40 which flushes out the graphite lube then dries recreating the problem. The in-key switch is stuck closed. Also if you can remove the ignition key in the run position, there is a standing recall for the 1st gens to replace it, Check with your chevy dealer for this.
4. Does the speedometer return to zero with the power off? It should. The gauge may need replacement.
5. The turn signal assembly still uses a ratcheted bump-trigger setup like cars of old. This sounds like the assembly may have broken or if the column was dissasembled for any reason in the past, not reinserted properly.

Aside from definitives, hopefully this helps move the repairs along.

p.s. I have the first Equinox sold of the first year which we picked up used back in 2012. ALthough there have been a couiple of interesting little faults that have had to be corrected over the years, at over 210,000 mles "scarlet" as the kids named her has proven to be a very reliable SUV

youngjordan

Reaction score
I have an 07 equinox and while installing a aftermarket radio I cut half the heating wires. Please help its in the teens

cavell

Reaction score
Who cut wires? You? Or shop?
cut wire? Repair cut.
plug fac harness into adapter.

95-007

Reaction score
As said by cavell above and please at the very least, use compression splices with the right crimping tool. Those wires should be red colored splice.

SONNY88

Reaction score
Sometimes a battery will show a good charge, but i don't always trust readings.

I like to replace the battery every 3 years.
The climate I'm in will kill batteries-- lots of heat and cold.

Members online

No members online now.