Sunroof 20k fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sunroof nightmare

Reaction score
hi everyone, brand new here so sorry if my etiquette is off (posting 1st day). My 2020 equinox sunroof opened last week and would not shut. i took it to one mechanic and he couldnt figure it out so brought it back to the chevy dealer i bought it from. They said it was a leak, showed me the puddle in the spare tire well, they told me this leak shorted the motor/electronics and said there was probably mold. They just gave me the estimate and it will be 20K worth of damage to replace sunroof/parts/interior (mold). it seems like a defective part (no accident caused this, it really just opened one day and wouldnt shut) and my auto insurance wont cover (not brought on by an accident), the warranty will cover maybe 7k worth of fixes, and my GAP insurance wont kick in since it is not a total loss/wasnt caused by accident/weather (tornado etc). does anyone know what i should do here? i owe 18K on the loan still so 20K in fixes is absurd. i did not notice any mold or smell any (i know mold could be invisible/no smell). i am thinking just have them shut it and deal with it when it re-opens again. and again. lol.

SteveK

Reaction score
20K, wow! Does that come with new tires, 🙃

If I had this bad luck I would start by removing the headliner (as carefully as you want) and expose the operator for the sunroof. I would check for power to the motors wiht volt meter to determine what/where the non operation is.
In previous posts on sunroof leaks the fuse box was mentioned as a possible place for a short created by the water leaking. If it opened, there was power, did the relay to close fail or did the roof jam.
BTW, you did check all fuses.

Staff online

Members online