HID Headlight Lens Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeH

Reaction score
New member here. Thanks for letting me join. Have a 2019 Equinox with HID headlights. Pass side recently started looking dim on both high and low beam. I noticed the projector looking lens inside the housing looks fogged over. I pulled the bulb today and shined a flashlight through from behind. It does look fogged over. The bulb fitting hole is to small to get anything in there to clean it.
Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what is the fix? Hate to think it has to have a new headlight assembly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

MikeH

Reaction score
New member here. Thanks for letting me join. Have a 2019 Equinox with HID headlights. Pass side recently started looking dim on both high and low beam. I noticed the projector looking lens inside the housing looks fogged over. I pulled the bulb today and shined a flashlight through from behind. It does look fogged over. The bulb fitting hole is to small to get anything in there to clean it.
Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what is the fix? Hate to think it has to have a new headlight assembly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

MikeH

Reaction score
Follow-up here. If you have this problem, probably a bad bulb. I bought a new bulb from Auto Zone and it fixed it. Bulb for the HID light was $142.00 with tax. Guess the lens fogging was my imagination.

bagbyjw

Reaction score
Follow-up here. If you have this problem, probably a bad bulb. I bought a new bulb from Auto Zone and it fixed it. Bulb for the HID light was $142.00 with tax. Guess the lens fogging was my imagination.
NAW that wasn't it, you just needed to get a new set of eyes, always clears things up LOL

TopHat

Reaction score
Your equinox had cataracts 🙄😎 Thanks for sharing your fix. Too often, especially on older vehicles the outside "glass" light covers become worn/cloudy. Some use WD40. I tried some on a small corner of an older Mazda3's headlight, but wasn't impressed. A few years earlier, I had bought a kit to use on a 2002 Avalanche, a complete waste of money. So good to hear the lens remains clear. Daughter has 2019 Equinox AWD LT.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Maybe if you get a chance, you could post a link so other people who come across this will potentially be able to save time looking for the correct bulb. Glad it was just a bulb. How was it replacing it?

MikeH

Reaction score
Maybe if you get a chance, you could post a link so other people who come across this will potentially be able to save time looking for the correct bulb. Glad it was just a bulb. How was it replacing it?
Not thinking, I discarded the old bulb and box. The numbers are clearly marked on the back of the bulb. I took the old one with me to Auto Zone for correct ID. For the passenger side, you need to remove the engine air box to get to a twist on/off bulb access cover. The bulb is retained in the housing by a wire spring retainer. All very easy. Only tools needed are a 10mm and a 7mm socket. Driver side, looks like battery removal would be required. The only thing I would advise, be careful to make sure the wire spring bulb retainer is fully engaged and locked behind the bulb. Hard to see in there so it's kinda by feel. Hope this helps.

Members online