2006 Equinox Difficulty Shifting Into Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MajorMalfunction

Reaction score
Over the past week, on two occasions, my 2006 LT has been reluctant to go into park. I've shifted all the way down and then back to park and luckily it's cooperated so far. I have it booked in to my mechanic's next Monday but that's a week away and I need to get my kids to and from school all this week.

What I'd like to know is, is it possible to put the car in neutral to turn it off, and if so will the keys come out of the ignition? I've been reluctant to try without some advice first; I used to work on my own motorcycles but I don't have experience with cars and am unsure if this is safe to do. I've also read some threads that suggest that the key will only come out if it's in park but the issue isn't clear. I live in a crappy neighborhood and don't want to leave the key in the car if I can help it.

Also any idea what the issue could be would be welcome. Car doesn't slip or hesitate, and runs well otherwise. It has 67,480 miles on it.

Thanks for any advice, this thing's turning into a money pit but I can't afford a new ride and could use a little peace of mind on this issue if there's any to be had.

Members online

No members online now.