2019 Equinox paint on hood edge is bubbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickyZ88

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue!

I have a 2019 Equinox in Black. I’ve been to two dealerships who both told me it’s not covered. I reached out to GM and had a representative contact me. As of this past week, I was told to bring the car back to the dealer and ask the service department to put in a request to have a GM field expert visit the dealership to make the final call. I’ve been dealing with this issue since March 2023.

The hood must be replaced. It’s a galvanized aluminum hood. Aluminum doesn’t rust. This is called galvanic corrosion. Repairing it will not fix the problem. Then entire hood needs to be replaced. Apparently it’s a coating issuing during production. I’m the original owner of the vehicle and paid for extended warranties.

I was verbally quoted about $1,500 to replace the hood.

Becky

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue!

I have a 2019 Equinox in Black. I’ve been to two dealerships who both told me it’s not covered. I reached out to GM and had a representative contact me. As of this past week, I was told to bring the car back to the dealer and ask the service department to put in a request to have a GM field expert visit the dealership to make the final call. I’ve been dealing with this issue since March 2023.

The hood must be replaced. It’s a galvanized aluminum hood. Aluminum doesn’t rust. This is called galvanic corrosion. Repairing it will not fix the problem. Then entire hood needs to be replaced. Apparently it’s a coating issuing during production. I’m the original owner of the vehicle and paid for extended warranties.

I was verbally quoted about $1,500 to replace the hood.
Hi Nicky! Sorry to hear you are having the same issue but also glad to see your post. I spoke to Consumer Protection in Wisconsin again and they told me that I could email them that I don’t agree with their decision to not replace the hood using the corrosion warranty or not and also explain why I feel that GM should replace the hood because it is a defect and it was not caused by me. So on Monday, I will be sending that email. I have not been offered to have anyone from GM look at my hood as of now anyway. Please keep me posted on how that turns out for you. I was quoted about $2200 to replace the hood. I agree replacing is not the thing to do. I will be updating my post here as I go forward. Good luck.

Becky

Reaction score
Hi Nicky! Sorry to hear you are having the same issue but also glad to see your post. I spoke to Consumer Protection in Wisconsin again and they told me that I could email them that I don’t agree with their decision to not replace the hood using the corrosion warranty or not and also explain why I feel that GM should replace the hood because it is a defect and it was not caused by me. So on Monday, I will be sending that email. I have not been offered to have anyone from GM look at my hood as of now anyway. Please keep me posted on how that turns out for you. I was quoted about $2200 to replace the hood. I agree replacing is not the thing to do. I will be updating my post here as I go forward. Good luck.
Oops meant: “repairing the hood” is not the thing to do.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
Ultimately, if it doesn't work out, you could look around at local "U pull" lots which sell used car parts. Could buy a hood that was pulled from a vehicle that may be totaled (if it was hit in the rear). Swapping the hood over is very easy and a local shop should do it for just an hour of labor plus cost of the part which would be a few hundred bucks.

I helped my dad locate a couple fenders and a door this way that he replaced himself on his car and it was very cheap and you cannot even tell the part came from another vehicle.

Members online

No members online now.