Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 05-09 Equinox Maintenance

05-09 Equinox Maintenance

Coolant flush/ radiator issues...?

This is a discussion on Coolant flush/ radiator issues...? within the 05-09 Equinox Maintenance forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
So I'm slowly doing all of the 100k service on the car myself. It's an '06 Nox with a little ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

cezardob is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant flush/ radiator issues...?

So I'm slowly doing all of the 100k service on the car myself. It's an '06 Nox with a little over 95k miles. Yesterday, I flushed the coolant and added the Prestone Extended life stuff.

I opened the radiator petcock and nothing came out. At all. Dry as a bone. So I went to the other end of the radiator and removed the big hose and it all drained out.

Now, my issue is this: I ONLY needed to use 1 gallon of 50/50 mix. Shouldn't it take a LOT more. Instead of the almost 4 liters, shouldn't it take nearly 10?

I'm not now nor have I EVER experience overheating but it seems that the radiator isn't accepting all the fluids. Is there a different sport, other than the plastic reservoir, to fill the vehicle with coolant? I didn't see a radiator cap anywhere...It's supposed to take 9.9 liters, isn't it?
cezardob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

oleg1981 is on a distinguished road

did you drained air from the system?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

How do I do that? All I did was remove the reservoir cap and the main coolant tube from the bottom of the passenger side radiator. I didn't see anywhere else to unhook or turn a knob that was related to the cooling system..
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
VENDOR

Black02Silverado is on a distinguished road

It takes 10 qts for total fill if you drained it completely. I would gather that there is a bunch still in the engine. I'm not familiar with that engine, maybe have to take the thermostat out to drain the block as well. There also might be drain plugs on the side of the engine block. If you went as far as to flush it and have that many miles on it then it wouldn't hurt to put a new thermostat in it while your at it.

Here is a list of capacities for your Nox.
CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........4.6 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........10.6 quarts
Automatic Transmission, AF33 Initial Fill..........3.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed AF33..........8.3 quarts
Differential, Rear..........1.5 pints
Transfer Case, NVG 900..........1.1 pints [2]
[1] Top-off as necessary.
[2] Fill to the bottom of fill hole.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is really weird. My old 4Runner was so straight forward since it had a radiator cap. I'll see if i can convince a Chevy service guy to give me some info. The Haynes manual is junk and I can't find a good Chevy manual on this car. I'm totally bummed out on this.

Black, I'll check some more places but I'm just not sure there is any other location that will drain the coolant. I found those same specs somewhere but I'm just lost as to where that fluid goes since the reservoir tank shows full.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

oleg1981 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Black02Silverado View Post
It takes 10 qts for total fill if you drained it completely. I would gather that there is a bunch still in the engine. I'm not familiar with that engine, maybe have to take the thermostat out to drain the block as well. There also might be drain plugs on the side of the engine block. If you went as far as to flush it and have that many miles on it then it wouldn't hurt to put a new thermostat in it while your at it.

Here is a list of capacities for your Nox.
CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........4.6 quarts [1]

thats wierd!
owners manual says 4.0q with filter.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

What does the dip stick read with 4 qts?
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

LanaLou is on a distinguished road

I just did the thermostat too, and it was really annoying because there is very little room there. You need a 13mm stubby wrench to the the back bolt off to change the thermostat. I also had to use some liquid wrench on the back bolt.
LanaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

7474 is on a distinguished road

I know this is a long since dead post but I have run into the same problem today.

2007 equinox, trying to flush and refill system and I am only able to put back in a little over a gallon of fluid.

Any thoughts and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

pac822 is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant Flush

How much did you remove? I think that you have air in the system. On the top of water pump there is a bleed valve you need to bleed the system then burp it by squeezing the upper hose.
pac822 is offline   Reply With Quote