Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge

The Lounge

ipod iphone ipad apps

This is a discussion on ipod iphone ipad apps within the The Lounge forums, part of the Member's Area category!
O O wait I found a even better one. See what happens when you post something like that on a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Mod

Z_Ghost is on a distinguished road

O O wait I found a even better one.

See what happens when you post something like that on a sunday, I have nothing to do sooooooooooooooo HA HA
92 Z/28
60\'1.937-1/4 13.851-98.16 mph

Z_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

Got all this for my phone today but it was the Droid 2... Cost me $80.

dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

rbiggers is on a distinguished road

Wow, you are all set on accessories! That is a cool car mount.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4X4 CC 6.2L - Sheer Silver Metallic
rbiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Mod

Spending money on yourself at this time of year, what's your better half think about that or does she know.

92 Z/28

Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Admin

Originally Posted by Z_Ghost View Post
Spending money on yourself at this time of year, what's your better half think about that or does she know.

We are going on a road trip so it benefits us... Plus I put it on the company card...

Now this is not the exact kit that I bought but it almost the same, Minus the box thing.

The kit that I bought is for the Droid 2 but is backwards compatible for my phone.. So the car/window mount is nicer...
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Admin

I just noticed that the kit that I bought also came with these really nice ear buds with MIC.

Sorry I had to use this photo and its not actual... But my camera is broke and I will get a picture with my phone in the mount as soon as I get a new camera...

Its close enough though.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #22 (permalink)

Where will the mount attach? I wish we had an ipod mount for the Equinox and Silverado. Something very small.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Admin

Originally Posted by rbiggers View Post
Where will the mount attach? I wish we had an ipod mount for the Equinox and Silverado. Something very small.
It attaches to the window by suction and I have a pad with adhesive to mount to any other surface.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #24 (permalink)

Verizon just announced they will be carrying the iphone beginning in February. I'll be one of the first to get one!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Mod

Seen that, will be see what they are going to charge for it and I just might get one.
92 Z/28

Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Admin

Originally Posted by rbiggers View Post
Verizon just announced they will be carrying the iphone beginning in February. I'll be one of the first to get one!
I came across an interesting article:

Verizon made it official today: it will be getting the iPhone, ending years of AT&T exclusivity in the U.S. With the Verizon iPhone a reality, there is one question that millions of iPhone owners are now asking themselves: should I switch carriers?

After years of frustration with dropped calls and spotty 3G connectivity, we understand why so many iPhone users are eager to become Verizon customers. In our reader poll, 29% of Mashable readers said theyíre switching to Verizon ASAP, while another 16% said theyíre switching after their current contract expires.

A lot of people have been asking us about whether switching is a good idea. More specifically, they want to understand the differences between the AT&T iPhone, a UMTS/GSM device, and the Verizon iPhone, a CDMA gadget. What exactly is CDMA? Is it better or worse than UMTS? Why is it impossible to to talk and browse the web at the same time on a Verizon iPhone?

To answer your questions, we wrote a short guide on the subject of CDMA, UMTS and the differences between AT&T and Verizonís 3G networks:

The Basics on CDMA, GSM and UMTS

The primary difference between the AT&T iPhone and the Verizon iPhone is the technology each uses for 3G connectivity.

AT&T employs the Universal Mobile Telecommunications System in its network. UMTS is built upon concepts from the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) standard, the basis for EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution). Because of this shared architecture, most UMTS devices support GSM and EDGE, including the AT&T iPhone.

GSM and UMTS technology is widely used worldwide. UMTS phones can be easily moved from one UMTS network to another, making them ideal for international use.

Verizon, on the other hand, uses code division multiples access (CDMA), a form of spread-spectrum signaling that utilizes bandwidth more effectively than most other solutions; itís often considered more spectrally efficient. CDMA also utilizes soft handovers of phone calls, so instead of switching directly from one tower to the next (hard handover), CDMA devices can receive a signal from multiple towers simultaneously. That makes the shift between towers less detectable, and it decreases the rate of dropped calls. On the other hand,
UMTS devices arenít as efficient at soft handovers.

CDMA technology does have several disadvantages, though. It canít use a SIM card, making it far more difficult to switch handsets. More important is that UMTS networks tend to upload and download data faster than CDMA. A test last year by
PCWorld demonstrated that AT&T has the fastest 3G network by a healthy margin. There is, of course, great variation in network speeds depending on location, population density and other factors, but in general youíre going to get a faster 3G connection on AT&T (UMTS) than you will on Verizon (CDMA).

One of the other big disadvantages of CDMA is its inability to carry voice and data simultaneously. AT&T phones can browse the web while on a phone call. Verizon phones donít have that capability, although the network is working on that feature.

Whatís the Bottom Line?

In the end, your phone is going to work essentially the same on both networks, and the truth is that the vast majority of users wonít notice any difference. Here are some key points to remember, though:

• Calls: In general, Verizon will drop less calls. Itís unclear what impact the iPhone will have on its network, but we donít expect it to be as bad as AT&T was in its early years. Verizonís network has proven itself to be more robust.
  • Speed: In general, AT&T has the faster 3G network, and in some cases itís a great deal faster than Verizon.
  • Simultaneous voice and data: Only AT&T is capable of talking on the phone and surfing the web at the same time, but Verizon is working on a solution, saying the fix might be implemented by the end of this year.
The latter point may become a nonissue soon, though. According to The Wall Street Journal, a solution to carry voice and data simultaneously on CDMA networks is coming later this year:
ďThe inability to multitask can be traced to a decision years ago by the engineers developing CDMA to split voice and data traffic into separate signals, so they canít run both at once.
Now, theyíre working to overcome it. A solution that will allow CDMA networks to carry voice and data simultaneously will become commercially available in the first half of [2011], said Brad Shewmake, spokesman for the CDMA Development Group, an industry organization.Ē
This argument between CDMA and UMTS may become a moot point in the next few years, though, as 4G networks overtake 3G technology. WiMax and LTE are the primary 4G standards. Both AT&T and Verizon are utilizing LTE as a standard for their 4G networks.

LTE is a GSM-based technology, so itís no surprise AT&T would embrace it. Verizonís decision to utilize LTE though could make the argument between the two networks moot, though. They are using the same technology, meaning that the effectiveness of their 4G implementations will determine how fast and reliable they are. Because itís GSM-based, it will also support simultaneous voice and data.

For now, itís smart to at least know the advantages and disadvantages of CDMA and UMTS. It will change in the next few years, though.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Mod

To many choices.
92 Z/28

Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Admin

Trust me.. Things get easy. Just get out there and look at phones with intent to buy. Get one that you like... It won't be so agonizing that way.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Mod

I will one day.
92 Z/28

Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #30 (permalink)

Good article. Lots to think about.