Starting problems, gas smell, shifting issues..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Helene74

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox. Just had the fuel pump replaced as the car started having starting problems. Now it is starting to have the same symptoms again after replacing the pump. The fuel mileage is also even worse than it was...getting about 100 miles on half a tank. The problems are not consistent. Sometimes I go to start the car and it turns over and starts but dies. Thereafter it just "clicks". Rolled it backwards in neutral and it started up again. Sometimes there is a strong gas smell. It is also having some shifting problems/transmission slipping--but also not consistent. Mainly in low gears and going uphill. It is not all the time.
No apparent oil or transmission leaks. Anyone have any ideas? Oxygen sensor possible? Thanks for your time.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
This may sound weird but I had a similar issue with a car I had in college. It ended up being the heater core leaked onto the computer and.shorted it out. I replaced many fuel pumps and sensors before changing the computer.

Helene74

Reaction score
Thanks for the message. Do you know the approx cost of such a thing? Did you have transmission problems from this as well?

oleg1981

Reaction score
fist of all i would change oil in Transmition. i changed it and its not that hard as it seems. my shifting is much better after that. i used Mobile JW3309 oil! as we have AISIN AF33 gear box that uses only that oil that meets JW3309 specification.

Chevynox2005

Reaction score
I new some help guys- my no is almost at 150k and need the trans fluid changed. Took it to a firestone here and they said I don't have a dipstick for the fluid therefor they can't change it. Is this really happening? How do you guys get it changed?!

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I new some help guys- my no is almost at 150k and need the trans fluid changed. Took it to a firestone here and they said I don't have a dipstick for the fluid therefor they can't change it. Is this really happening? How do you guys get it changed?!

I would take it to the dealer to have them change it... I think this also is the issue with the newer Acadia's and you simply have to replace the fluid with how much you drain out..

oleg1981

Reaction score
just so it. hope it will help to some one! there is a dipstick on nox transmition! it is very small and is accesable only from under the car.
2009-10-03_013213_fluid.jpg

oleg1981

Reaction score
i will change oil in gear box this weekend.

to all that wants to change oil remember USE ONLY JWS 3309 oil!

briando

Reaction score
check out the BG products for your chevy. they're solvent based which i know isnt supposed to be great for seals, but it does help i swear with the gas mileage, knocking, and general cleanliness of the engine.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox. Just had the fuel pump replaced as the car started having starting problems. Now it is starting to have the same symptoms again after replacing the pump. The fuel mileage is also even worse than it was...getting about 100 miles on half a tank. The problems are not consistent. Sometimes I go to start the car and it turns over and starts but dies. Thereafter it just "clicks". Rolled it backwards in neutral and it started up again. Sometimes there is a strong gas smell. It is also having some shifting problems/transmission slipping--but also not consistent. Mainly in low gears and going uphill. It is not all the time.
No apparent oil or transmission leaks. Anyone have any ideas? Oxygen sensor possible? Thanks for your time.

Bit Odd. You're not getting a check engine light?

Members online

No members online now.