Replacing PCV valve on 2019 Equinox 1.5L Turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djmarch

Reaction score
Cannot find a torx or hex bit to remove the bolt that holds the PCV valve in place. It looks to be tappered bit that's needed to remove. Any recommendations will be truly appreciated.

SteveK

Reaction score
go to a chev dealer or jobber with a picture and ask for the tool?

ravenblack67

Reaction score
Cannot find a torx or hex bit to remove the bolt that holds the PCV valve in place. It looks to be tappered bit that's needed to remove. Any recommendations will be truly appreciated.
I just looked at mine. It is a screw that is not designed to be removed without some sort of special tool. I suspect vice grips will do the job.

57chevythunder

Reaction score
well, I'm confused: According to everything I've read, this engine does not have a PCV valve.
(same car, same engine, same year as mine)

ricklack

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the PCV valve is internal on the 1.5T.

Also, I would caution trying to use a tool that is not designed for the job. The repair could get a lot more costly than the cost of the correct tool, or if you let a garage change the PCV.

My first job as a mechanic, the owner of the garage always said "your tools are your hands". IE, don't scrimp on tools and always try to use the right tool for the job. First hand experience is that ignoring that always complicated things LOL

57chevythunder

Reaction score
I believe it is orifice (or restrictor) sandwiched between the cylinder head and engine block. And as such, I think there is nothing about it that should require replacement.
On the other hand, there are a couple of "fresh air" valves in the circuit, one on each bank of the camshaft case. And heads of the fasteners on those two parts VERY DIFINITELY have a totally unconventional recessed pattern. -I think they are under the category of "one time use." Yes, it would be interesting to see what an experienced dealer service technician would have to say about it.
I also see a line that connects to the turbo-charger and runs to a fitting on the rear bank of the camshaft case.
I remember reading somewhere about the design and operation of the crankcase ventilation system on this engine. There are two distinctly different modes of operation, depending on whether the engine air intake manifold is operating under vacuum, no turbo boost, or under pressure with turbo boost active.
The bottom line to me is that this is not the simple PCV system that we have all been used to for decades.
It seems to me that the crankcase ventilation components of this engine certainly do not fall under the category of ordinary "service" items. -sort of like, "its probably not malfunctioning, so it doesn't need servicing."

Anyway, that is just my observation and opinion. Hope you get better answers.

Members online

No members online now.