Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
Hello all.

2018 Equinox 1.5 - 145k miles.

Noticing oil that seems to be originating somewhere around the vacuum pump (where the bulk of the seepage is) and traveling down the front of the head. Are there any known common oil leaks from this area? Please see attached photos.

Now that I have pictures I will be giving the area a full douching of cleaner to see where the oil starts again but wanted to at last get some input from those with more experience.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.JPG
    1 - Copy.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 2 - Copy.JPG
    2 - Copy.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 3 - Copy.JPG
    3 - Copy.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 4 - Copy.JPG
    4 - Copy.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 19

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
Just a quick followup. Watching this video, I think maybe the inner & outer valve cover gaskets and/or vacuum pump gasket is failing.

I also see a little bit of oil in the valley where the plugs and injectors are. I really cleaned that out last time I did plugs and I know I haven't slopped oil down there.

Last edited:

BDCEquinox

Reaction score
Just to wrap this up. I put a new vacuum pump on along with the seal where it keys into the camshaft. The seal was pretty tough and not flexible so I'm guessing it was just due to be serviced.

The pump on the vehicle was the old style that had a small screen on the oil inlet. Apparently the screens can get clogged causing the pump to fail, possibly causing major camshaft damage. The new part did not have the screen so I figured why not put one on while I had the old one off.

If anyone has to do the seal, you can pry out the old one with a flat head screwdriver. When putting the new seal in, I put a bit of silicone paste along the outer rim and was able to push it in by hand.

Members online