NAV Update on 22 'nox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kskruser

Reaction score
Got an email (from 'Chevrolet Navigation Team') about updating the nav system on my '22 'nox. Here's part of it:

Quote.....
INSTALLATION IS EASY

When your new SD media card arrives, simply remove your old card and insert the new one. You will not need to schedule a service visit for installation.

2022 Chevrolet Equinox
VIN: *****redacted*****

ORDER YOUR UPDATED NAVIGATION MAP FOR JUST $99.99.*

UPDATE NOW (clickable button)
.....Unquote

(they say "regular price is $149.99".)

Note this is for the built-in nav system (I do not have OnStar).

Has anyone done this? Did the update work OK? (I would hate to lose the functionality that I have now!)

Thanx.

PS: After two years, the car (LT with many options) is doing fine. No major problems of any kind.

NXR71

Reaction score
I've done that on my 2020 twice and yes, it's that easy. But honestly, the POI database GM buys just sucks. Restaurants that have we've gone to for years still do not show up. Even worse, GM provides no way to see if they added something you need. Our kid lives in a newer development and their street does not exist in the database so I use an address near to them. That is understandable, this year. But if I cannot confirm something is in the database I won't be buying a third update until the last one for a 2020 is offered for sale.

I still find it hard to believe that there appears to be no way to say "Make a Favorite where I am right now" whether it's a parking spot or some place new. Every real GPS I've owned had that capability.

A month ago my 2023 update was $150 and today it's $100. The web page says this:

Special Offer!​

Save $50 when you order by 7/31/2024 (valid in the U.S. only)

Lee

Reaction score
I've done that on my 2020 twice and yes, it's that easy. But honestly, the POI database GM buys just sucks. Restaurants that have we've gone to for years still do not show up. Even worse, GM provides no way to see if they added something you need. Our kid lives in a newer development and their street does not exist in the database so I use an address near to them. That is understandable, this year. But if I cannot confirm something is in the database I won't be buying a third update until the last one for a 2020 is offered for sale.

I still find it hard to believe that there appears to be no way to say "Make a Favorite where I am right now" whether it's a parking spot or some place new. Every real GPS I've owned had that capability.

A month ago my 2023 update was $150 and today it's $100. The web page says this:

Special Offer!​

Save $50 when you order by 7/31/2024 (valid in the U.S. only)
I can save my current location on my 2018 Navigation.
Touch the location on the screen and touch the box that pops up, then select save.

ricklack

Reaction score
I did not buy an update, but I had a bad SD card replaced in Aug 2022. Took the dealer all of 5 minutes, meaning there was nothing needed other than replace the SD card. Of course, it took them months to finally arrive at the conclusion it was a bad SD Card, after me suggesting that 2 or 3 months earlier. They insisted in trying a software update that GM was working on, even though the TSB said for hard failures like mine, they should replace the SD Card. I tried showing them their mistake but despite all my efforts, they would not listen to me. End result, they tried the first thing last and got a severe rebuke from the service manager, who refunded me the money I spent on car data for a trip to the US. As he said to them, they need to LISTEN to what the customer says, as they kept writing my problem up as intermittent, even though 5 or 6 times I pleaded with them to change it to a hard error.

I digress, relived bad memories there. The other point is, the 22 has Android Auto, which IMO is a way better and more accurate Nav tool. The only reason I have built in Nav is because I bought the car during the pandemic, it was the first one available and I needed a car yesterday. I had reserved a different Nox without nav but my 13 Nox decided it would not last until that came in.

So.... yes, it is that easy to swap the SD Card and nothing bad can happen, unless it is a bad SD Card, at which point you can put the old one back in until the new one is replaced. But why spend the money when Android Auto (or Carplay) is available on your car for no cost except for phone data? We even (finally!) have decently large data plans in Canada at an affordable price that also give US coverage. AA has real time traffic updates that the built in Nav does not have, unless you subscribe to Onstar (no thx), I imagine Apple CP is the same.

Unless for some reason you REALLY prefer the built in NAV, I think there are better ways to spend the money, but to each their own.

NXR71

Reaction score
I can save my current location on my 2018 Navigation.
Touch the location on the screen and touch the box that pops up, then select save.
I had tried that to no avail so I just backed the car out of the garage and tried again. When I touched the icon I got a box that said "SET UP WORK". I'm retired so I never set that up. So I did. Now when I touch the icon nothing happens. If I hold the press it just zooms in.

Touching other spots on the screen did not pop up a Save box either.

Oh, well.

NXR71

Reaction score
I guess I am saving a hundred dollars. I used HERE's contact form, which actually has a COVERAGE selection, to find out if a particular street was included in the 2023 update.Nice answer, eh? They call themselves GM and they say to contact GM. SMH.

1715376162575.png

Lee

Reaction score
I had tried that to no avail so I just backed the car out of the garage and tried again. When I touched the icon I got a box that said "SET UP WORK". I'm retired so I never set that up. So I did. Now when I touch the icon nothing happens. If I hold the press it just zooms in.

Touching other spots on the screen did not pop up a Save box either.

Oh, well.
My navigation is a previous version that does not store the maps on a sd card.
Looks like there's a few differences between the 2018 Nav and 2020 Nav.
One option I miss compared to a Garmin GPS is my car does not have the option to store a location by GPS coordinates.

Members online