Fan continues after turning off vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jewel

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’ve recently noticed that my heater doesn’t work completely. It’ll go cold to hot to cold and so on. And then when I park my car, the fan stays running. I’ve just spent thousands of dollars replace a water seal thing and something with an oil leak. Obviously, I don’t know cars or what he does to fix them but this is now the third problem in a matter of months. I have a 2017; 46,000 miles.

corvairbob

Reaction score
is this fan running a new symptom? when engines are hot after shutdwon sometimes the fans will run to coll the coolant down. if the fan turns on when the engine is cool or cold that tells me the temp sensor that controls the fan/s is stuck in the on position. or in a graph inthe up position.

if the cooling system has been opened and your getting hot and cold it may need to be burped. lost of YT shoing how to do that.

also check teh coolant resivoir tank and keep it at lest 1/3 full when the engine is warm/hot the tanks fills when the engine cools down it take collant from that tank. if the tank runs empty and the system is low on collant then as the t-stat opens and closes it can cause the hot and cold symptoms as well. good luck i bet you can find YT on my car heater runs hot and cold all the time type tha tin and see. good luck

TopHat

Reaction score
Modern cars have fans independent of the engine, meaning that it can come on at any time after the engine is shut off. It is electric and controlled by temperature. Used to be they were controlled by a belt; always be wary of the fan when working on modern engines. Did you ever find the problem?

Metal Flake

Reaction score
Happened to me as well. Turn off car and fan kept running. Turn out to be a temperature sensor. Luckily my mechanic fixed for just around $100.

Members online