adding Chrome door handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbiggers

Reaction score
I am going to add chrome door handles to our Equinox. I was wondering how hard it would be to do it yourself? I've seen threads on the GM Trucks forum about doing it, and it sounds like no fun at all. And knowing me, everything in the door would rattle when I got it put back together. I'll most likely pay somebody else to do it. But does anybody have any experience with this?

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
I am going to add chrome door handles to our Equinox. I was wondering how hard it would be to do it yourself? I've seen threads on the GM Trucks forum about doing it, and it sounds like no fun at all. And knowing me, everything in the door would rattle when I got it put back together. I'll most likely pay somebody else to do it. But does anybody have any experience with this?

I added them to my setup, they look great, and takes all of 15mins @ tops. You will need a T20 (was T20 or T25 screw scriver). The factory ones and the chrome replacement mount the same, there is nothing to "rattle" around as your just popping the factory cover off (painted) and adding the chrome cover.

It looks great on the Black Granite, and unlike the chrome package, does not add too much deferring from that look. I have been very pleased up the upgrade.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
From what I know it is easy and takes about 5 minutes per door. You need a T25 driver (Torx)

You do not have to take the door panel off to replace door handles.

I will look more into it when the wife gets home with the Nox... :thumbs:

It would be great if you were able to do a write up on this!

rbiggers

Reaction score
I just assumed you had to take the door panel off to install them. Maybe I will do it myself. And do a write up! Now I have to see where I can find them for the best price. My dealer is selling the set of 4 for $139.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
$139 is list, you can find them cheaper if you look around (ebay might even had factory's cheaper, I'm not sure I would competely trust aftermarket). I got mine at cost +10% (my brother is a parts manager at a GM dealership)

rbiggers

Reaction score
They are $128.19 with tax and shipping at gmpartsdirect. Not bad. I'll do some more checking tonight.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
They are $128.19 with tax and shipping at gmpartsdirect. Not bad. I'll do some more checking tonight.

Yeah sometimes you can get good deals there... I usually try an check at GMPD first and then I check with my brother at his body shop..

For example. My boss bought new door handles for the suburban and they were around $62 ea with a discount at the dealership....

My brother was able to get them for $45 with tax...

Its always worth to shop around!

rbiggers

Reaction score
That is a good price. So now these are covers that just pop on and off? Where does the T25 driver come into play? I know it sounds like a dumb question. I'm just trying to picture the process in my head. What do you use to pop off the old covers?

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
That is a good price. So now these are covers that just pop on and off? Where does the T25 driver come into play? I know it sounds like a dumb question. I'm just trying to picture the process in my head. What do you use to pop off the old covers?

They are handles, not really "Covers". On the side of the door, there is a round dust cover, remove that, then on the inside is the screw you need to loosen (not remove). Once that is loose, the handles will pop out, and you pop the new ones in, then retighten the screw. The instructions are very easy to follow

rbiggers

Reaction score
They are handles, not really "Covers". On the side of the door, there is a round dust cover, remove that, then on the inside is the screw you need to loosen (not remove). Once that is loose, the handles will pop out, and you pop the new ones in, then retighten the screw. The instructions are very easy to follow

Got it! Thanks for clearing that up. That does sound way easier than the trucks.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
IMG_1314.jpg

Just a quick shot....

Car is dirty but shows the contrast it adds. Reason I like this better than the chrome package, is the chrome package would've added chrome covers for the mirrors, and to me that is just too much. These add a nice addition that highlights well with the window molding.

Members online

No members online now.