2nd Gear Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Vince @ Trifecta has been one of the few willing to play around with tunes for our cars, even went to get a Buick w/ the 3.0 to play with, he has a tune ready for adding turbo's to the car (someone added this to a SRX)

To point though...

He is always improving the tunes, and working out different "tunes" or profiles. Right now he is working on a 2nd gear start. Would that be of interesting to anyone? Idea is MPG increase. Would mainly help for those that travel with alot of stop/go traffic.

Added bonus's I will go into later...He's making some changes and I'll give it another shot. But his performance shift profile was just crazy fun last nite for a boring CUV

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
This will be interesting.. Have you ever put your nox on the Dyno?

You will have to keep us updated on this Steve!

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Has he done any work with the I4.
I really would like to add a turbo to her in a few years.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
It would.
The one thing that I miss about the Cobalt SS was how sweet the curse control worked. You set it and never even felt it worked unless you were going up over a 12% grade, you could watch the boost go up as you went up the hill.
The Terrain does a good job but if the grade jumps up fast it will down shift more then 1 gear.

Last edited:

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Yeah but I do like the cruise control on these things more than any other vehicle. You digitally set your new speed to the exact number... No more guessing where your needle is.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Has he done any work with the I4.
I really would like to add a turbo to her in a few years.

He has tuned the I4's as well....adding turbo would be interesting on the I4, and much easier imo then the V6...But the 6T45 is not nearly as "beefy" as the 6T70 us V6ers have

This will be interesting.. Have you ever put your nox on the Dyno?

You will have to keep us updated on this Steve

I have never seen the point (besides my speed shop would laugh at me)...They did when I first brough my Cobalt SS 4-door to them...But when I put down 230whp stock...they changed their minds. When I tuned in on the next run and put down 297, they really changed minds lol. I ended up getting 322whp before I got rid of it.

This one I know is not a performance car.....I have 2 big complaints about the V6. No power down low. The V6 (same engine) in Holdens puts out peak torque @ 2700rpms, ours was 4xxx rpms. I could not figure out why until Vince noticed by design we only where getting 66% WOT until around 4k rpms. So this is removed on my tune, as well as some timing advances (being GM didnt time the engine for anything in all honesty is what I have been told, its what allows use 87 Octane, if they would've tuned it just alittle more our power would've been very close to the 3.6L in HP numbers).

So for engine...I get 100% throttle on demand (I have heavy foot), some advanced timing at the cost of needing 89+ Octane, with this I get slightly better mpg's then on stock tune. On Vince's Buick it gained 9whp on the dyno, it also moved the peak torque to under 3k rpms with a flat torque curve the rest of the way up. It as well pulls power up until 7k rpms. The other was shifts are so slow on this car. The firmness/quickness of the shifts is greatly improved. I dont have the engine searching for gears when you give it some gas on the free way (stock downshifts to 5th, then goes to 4th)...mine goes directly to 4th, or 3rd depending on how much gas you give). The shift profiles are what Vince is still working, it gives better driving feel. I'll video the difference in shifts once done, run it stock and you can then see the updated version.

I would like down the road for Vince to work on a "lean" burn setup. US really does not get any benefit out of gDI engines being we still run the exact same 14.7:1 stiomatic AFR's when it comes to mpg's. gDI engines are designed to run leaner..we do run leaner during acceleration, but our cruise is the same mixture as regular engines, even though by design we could run much leaner due to emission laws. We really are not getting the mpg increase we could from gDI because of this.

I'm trying out the 2nd gear starts....some people might be interested in them, I wasnt sure. I would like to help him sell a few tunes if possible in this line :). Getting a mpg increase around town would pay for itself eventually..espeically if gas prices hit the forcasted 4.50+/gallon

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
In a few years I just might have to find out how hard it will be to add a turbo.
Need to get it paid for first.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
O YEAH that's what I need to get, bet it would make 1000 HP and push the terrain up to 40 mpg.

NOT

:crazy:

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I seen that.
Dumb kids do some really strange stuff, I mean were do they come up with this stuff.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
So do you have any updates for us?

Work in progress

I had to take the car into dealer for a creaking issue I have been having, being they where going to road test it, figured I should put the tranny back to normal shifting as D=2nd gear start.....I just havent reupdated the tranny since getting the car back last Friday.....Work always seems to call, and its a crazy Jan for me :(

Members online

No members online now.