2011 V6 1LT 700 miles: Odd, subtle, continuous noise at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colt Hero

Reaction score

I don't THINK this is anything to be worried about, but it just seems odd to me (I've never heard such a noise before with any vehicle I've ever owned): Ever since brand new, whenever the engine is at idle (and probably whenever the engine is running), I can hear what sounds like 'jackhammering off in the distance', or a helicopter-like propeller noise. It's continuous ... maybe at a 5-10 Hz rate. First time I noticed it (with the radio off and the windows up), I started looking around because I thought there was construction going on nearby. It's not like lifter noise from the engine. It's not metallic-sounding. It's more plastic-sounding, and I don't think it's a fan blade noise.

Anybody else notice this sound at idle?

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score

I don't THINK this is anything to be worried about, but it just seems odd to me (I've never heard such a noise before with any vehicle I've ever owned): Ever since brand new, whenever the engine is at idle (and probably whenever the engine is running), I can hear what sounds like 'jackhammering off in the distance', or a helicopter-like propeller noise. It's continuous ... maybe at a 5-10 Hz rate. First time I noticed it (with the radio off and the windows up), I started looking around because I thought there was construction going on nearby. It's not like lifter noise from the engine. It's not metallic-sounding. It's more plastic-sounding, and I don't think it's a fan blade noise.

Anybody else notice this sound at idle?

SIDI

We dont have fuel injectors, the engines come with solenoids and run VERY high pressures to atomize the fuel. This sound is present in all gDI engines, and sounds similar to a disel. The I4 can be VERY loud at times

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
They are loud but make a big difference in power and mpg.

Members online