what temperature sets off the ENGINE HOT A/C OFF warning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anarky321

Reaction score
also is this reading based off the coolant temp sensor that's next to the thermostat?

both the dash temp gauge and the ECM both read the value from the same sensor right?

Last edited:

birdman77

Reaction score
You need to change your thermostat and engine coolant temperature sensor. Sensor is near the thermostat.

anarky321

Reaction score
already done - didn't fix the issue, checked the wiring on the sensor harness and checked for air on the bleeder screws in case an air bubble was causing it to go off

cavell

Reaction score
Had stuck open thermo on my 07 torrent. Scan tool said motor was 155f. And code was for coolant temp too low and coolant temp too high. P0126 and p0128? Been awhile. New thermo is at 200-205f when fans come on and then go off. then I had lousy heat at idle. But ok heat driving. Flushing heater core fixed that.

Last edited:

ponchoissean

Reaction score
Birdman is right. You need to replace the thermostat BUT you have to make sure you replace it with a 195° thermostat. I’ve had this issues with my 2008 Equinox for over a year and it was because i used a 180° thermostat. The computer wants to see the temp get to 195° after a specific amount of time. If it doesn’t see the right temp it says “engine hot” and turns off the ac as well as the coolant temp gauge dropping to 0. It took me a very long time to figure this out but i just changed my thermostat back to 195° and it runs perfect now.

cavell

Reaction score
Long time? My $40 scan tool said engine cold. So I got new thermostat. Not a long drawn out process,

ponchoissean

Reaction score
It is if you aren’t getting those codes from the computer which is why this problem is so prevalent and with no answers on any of the forums addressing it. You are applying logic for other vehicles and problems to this very specific issue. I believe you have fixed lots of things on lots of cars but this problem is specific to this vehicle in this year range. It is important that other advice does not get mistaken for the right answer for the issue the OP is describing or someone might just buy another 180° thermostat and never fix their problem. I know this because i searched every forum I could find and not one had a solution that worked because none of the answers explain that you must use a 195° thermostat. I’m not trying to disparage you or your answer but it’s important to be accurate and specific to actually help this issue get fixed for the OP. My point is this is not a stuck open thermostat and if OP pulled theirs out and tested it, they would assume it was fine and probably put it back in.

Members online