What manual gear selection is best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parlyle

Reaction score
I have a 2011 2.4L Equinox 1LT. Just installed a after market receiver hitch and was wondering what manual gear to use when towing a small covered trailer.(8 X 12 feet)?
I was told that it is best to use the manual selection rather than the automatic shifting.
Thanks for the responses.

Lyle

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I would definitely use the manual setting . However towing with a 2.4 L, I would also invest in a transmission cooler .

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
I have a 2011 2.4L Equinox 1LT. Just installed a after market receiver hitch and was wondering what manual gear to use when towing a small covered trailer.(8 X 12 feet)?
I was told that it is best to use the manual selection rather than the automatic shifting.
Thanks for the responses.

Lyle

Around town I would do M4, to keep the tranny from going to M5 (which is a 1:1 ratio), and definitely keep it from going into 6th (.74 OD)

If on the highways I would do M5 to keep it from going into 6th, unless on flat surface, and then I would control it going into 6th.

parlyle

Reaction score
Once up to speed I would keep it in 5th gear.

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering, reading the other response about the transmission cooler. Is this something I should look into? I don't think I will be doing any bobcat or large car hauling, but what should the criteria be for purchasing and using the cooler? I don't want to hatch the tranny when I just got the vehicle.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
The 2.4L is rated at 2800lbs for towing? You should be fine without one on this trip. If you were going over the rated limits by a few hundred I would look into getting one...

parlyle

Reaction score
I think I understand the problem. If I were to try to tow a couple hundred more than 1500 pounds, I should have one, correct? And if I wanted to purchase the cooler, would it be better from the dealer, or an outside vendor?
Would the warranty cover the cooler?
Thanks for the added responses............

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I would look at GMpartsdirect.com I think that one of the members on here actually added a transmission cooler to his Nox but it is a V6.

I have not towed with my Nox yet. I don't think I see the need for a tranny cooler if I am within the limits that GM set.

parlyle

Reaction score
I would look at GMpartsdirect.com I think that one of the members on here actually added a transmission cooler to his Nox but it is a V6.

I have not towed with my Nox yet. I don't think I see the need for a tranny cooler if I am within the limits that GM set.

I totally agree with that. If I was actually going to have purchased a vehicle to be used for towing I wouldn't have gotten the 2.4 with FWD. I will heed your warning and be careful to stay within those limits you mentioned. If I need any additional brawn, I will ask a friend or two to help, with a beefier truck.
Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate the help, especially being a newbie on the forum.

Lyle

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
No Prob Lyle,

When you get a moment post up a thread with photos of your ride...

I do know one member (2010BLKGraniteNox) added a tranny cooler to his v6 Nox.. He pools jet skis regularly.

parlyle

Reaction score
No Prob Lyle,

When you get a moment post up a thread with photos of your ride...

I do know one member (2010BLKGraniteNox) added a tranny cooler to his v6 Nox.. He pools jet skis regularly.

Thanks I will post some photos when I get a few taken. I am now
just getting used to the new car and all the bells and whistles.
Lyle
"

Members online

No members online now.