What kind of oil are you guys using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCCUBSFAN

Reaction score
Dumb question, the 2012 V-6 Nox uses 6 Qts of oil for an oil change, a large container of Mobil 1 has 5.1 qts, will it matter if you add a full extra qt or do you have to figure out how much of the addl qt to add?

tallbump

Reaction score
I've always ran a little extra. The 3.8 calls for 4.5 and I always just add 5 as does most of the 3.8 community. I do run a larger size filter though so that accommodates some of it.

I would highly doubt that the extra .1 would matter.

However, if it was ever "discovered" I guess the potential could be there for warranty issues.

1sLoY7

Reaction score
Surprised no one mentioned Royal Purple? The Sport gets Royal Purple with a K&N wrench off filter every 3000 miles. The Camry gets Royal Purple and a K&N wrench off as well every 3000 miles or once a year oil changes. Working offshore I rarely drive the camry so my oil sits on stand by for a 12 month change lol. I know some of you may be thinking I am nuts about letting it sit longer than 4 months but when I do a yearly change in that car the oil actually still looks like the day I poured it in and I have cut the filter and I don't even know why I change it.

edit: I also do know it is costly for the full synthetic changes every 3000 but I don't like to play around with my toys maintenance. My quads after 3 full tanks I change the oil in them as well. I stay on top of maintenance and am a little old school instead of the oil life indicator on the dash.

islandreamer

Reaction score
I go by the oil life indicator or 1 year whichever comes first. Mobil 1 Full Syn and K&N oil filter.

prheaume

Reaction score
I do not use royal purple cause I don't think it worth it. That clearly not a high performance engine, never use for racing or severe driving. Always keep in mind that you drive a SUV, whatever the look you give it.

I use regular Castrol 5w30 with the OEM filter, no problem with it, love my truck!

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
I'm going to change my oil after this weekends trip down south. I'll have about 4K miles on the factory oil and the OIC still states 74%.

I'm going to go with Mobil 1 5w30 extended performance with either the
Fram xtraguard for $7 XG10575 or the K&N extended performance for $7.99 PS-2011.

The mobil 1 filter M1-212 is rated for 15k miles but its $14.95 not worth the money. i'm not going to be drag racing my NOX lol unless i'm racing an ugly KIA

1sLoY7

Reaction score
I do not use royal purple cause I don't think it worth it. That clearly not a high performance engine, never use for racing or severe driving. Always keep in mind that you drive a SUV, whatever the look you give it.

I use regular Castrol 5w30 with the OEM filter, no problem with it, love my truck!

You can say that but when you fire up running royal purple you can tell a difference in how smooth it is. I find the motor has that much less to work so it must be better on all the moving parts.

Its almost like sayin, what would you rather with your old lady? Spit or Lube....it's all in what feels better.

Last edited:

prheaume

Reaction score
Love the comparaison! haha

Have you ever experienced that : on the car I had before my nox ( nissan sentra 2002), when I was running with Mobil 1 syntech oil, I had to had about 1 liters per 5000 km ... with mineral oil.. nothing !

Colt Hero

Reaction score
I WAS using Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic because Wal-Mart was selling it for $19.79 per 5 qt. jug. But someone caught on to this miscue and upped the price to something like $26, so I've already purchased a different brand for my next change:

Wal-Mart SuperTech Full Synthetic: $19.79 per 5 qt. jug.

I've been using the Wal-Mat "dino" oil (SuperTech) 10w-30 in all my other cars for over 10 years now without any problems, so I'm betting it'll be more of the same with their syntetic. But I wish I knew who made this oil because if it's Mobil some have said their synthetic oil contains excessive iron - which is not a good thing (I guess).

Colt Hero

Reaction score
On my most recent oil change, I used SuperTech Full Synthetic, but for the 6th quart (I have the V6) I simply poured in a quart of 5w-30 dino oil. That extra quart is a pain in the a##. They don't make 6 Qt oil jugs! I think I'm going to continue using the 1 Qt dino oil as the 6th quart. This way I won't have to deal with the 2nd 5Qt jug 'donating' a quart at every oil change.

prheaume

Reaction score
I'm under 70% on the DIC, and approx 3000km done since my last oil change. 1500 of those 3000 km were done in my vacations (10days). Wonder if I should do one before the winter.

Still not have switched to synthetic.

At BMW, oil changed are stated 1yr or 25 000 km, thats sound way too much for me lol

Members online