What kind of oil are you guys using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colt Hero

Reaction score
Must be nice to get away with only 5 quarts... The new Nox V6 takes 6.. So I split a case of 12 for the Nox and the blue truck costing me about $25 each vehicle.

I bought two 5Qt jugs and will use the second jug as the "donor" to makeup the extra quart for a 6Qt oil change. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that required 6Qts of oil. Kinda stinks. I'm used to 4.5 Qts changes and "banking" the 1/2 Qts for a future oil change.

So I guess it's costing me $24 + $3 (filter) per oil change for the Equinox. My "dino" changes for my other cars cost me about $13 ($10+$3) and last between 3000 and 3500 miles. So if I leave the Pennzoil in the Equinox for 6000 miles I'm calling it a "wash" cost-wise...

prheaume

Reaction score
Penzoil mineral oil with OEM filter. I do the service on my own and notice that a OEM filter will cost less than an aftermarket one. I like GM !

prheaume

Reaction score
I saw some weird problems with the FRAM filters where I was working before, I'm sure FRAM is a good company but I'm looking for the OEM now.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Yeah I try to stay away from it too... I think you will see issues with them more soo if you neglect your oil changes on interval.

prheaume

Reaction score
Yes it sure won't help. But I've seen some troubles like the casing litteraly cracked in the middle. Not a lot of times but enough to make me feel unsafe about that brand.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I really like running the AC Delco filters... But normally I get FRAM!

Had to many problems with FRAM filters, the last one I used was on a 350 SBC that I built and would run a max of 65 psi oil pressure.
Blew the filter, oil went all over hot headers. Somehow the car did not catch fire but it sure should have.
Granted that was 15 years ago but that was the last FRAM I ever used.

prheaume

Reaction score
I received tickets with my roadside assistance... they give me a free oil change and 4 oil change at 20$ ... I think I will take it but bring my own filter lol

oleg1981

Reaction score
im using castrol high milage oil.
was using all kind of oil's before. but with all of them oil consumption was high(for me)
now they are about 2times lower.

the car have 155000km ~96k miles.

and using only quackerstate oil filters! never ever will use FRAM! on my priviouse car (citroen saxo) :) picture for people that dose not know what it is.
citroen_saxo_vts_2.jpg

the FRAM filer casing just droped! living all oil split on the road!!! . never ever fram!

padavid12

Reaction score
I plan on switching over my wife's Cobalt as well as my garden and yard equipment. David

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I have switched over most of my personal vehicles I am still working on switching all the fluids for the commercial vehicles.

tallbump

Reaction score
Blowing some dust off this thread LOL.

First let me start by saying that I am new to the 3.4 in the 05 'Nox. Well, I have heard a lot about it, but have no experience. I come from the 3.8/3800 area so I know a lot more about that. It's nothing for us to get 200K miles easy out of a 3.8 and we run pretty much whatever we can get cheap. Some of the guys with big power buildups run just Synthetic though, usually Mobil 1. I do have a friend that swears by Amsoil too.

I personally do whatever I can get cheap at the time. I try to change it about every 3K. In fact, I am due to change it in the Bonneville. Might be what I do tomorrow. I used to swear by the AC Delco filters but they recently changed to a plastic core (as designated by a P in the part name. I have heard bad things about those. It's what I have on currently so I'll see how it held up when I change it.

When I can get a decent deal tough I try to run a synth blend or at least a high mileage oil as I am just over 150K now.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
So what oil filter did you end up with? Wix or the Fram... I still think the Ac Delco is Superior over the others. And I don't think the K&N's are the answer here.... :lol:

I used to like the Fram but have stayed away from them for a while now!

tallbump

Reaction score
I grabbed the Delco last time even though it was plastic.

Most likely for the Bonneville I will just grab whatever comes with the oil change special.

For the Nox I might try a Wix.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Wix but I need to research what they have to offer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

oleg1981

Reaction score
i'm using castrol high millage. getting it from canadian tire for 18-20$ 5L. my nox have 170k and with this oil runs smoother.

Members online