Water in Spare tire well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skippy588

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Equinox and am continuing to have issues with water getting in the spare tire well. Is this a common issue? How do you remedy?

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Chasing water leaks like this is not fun! Probably the easiest way would be to drop the headliner on the back end of the vehicle and take it through the car wash. Or you can have someone spray water on the car while you are inside.

Another thing to check is for factory holes for draining water that should have a rubber grommet that may be allowing water in but not draining.

If I had to guess, something may not be right with the rubber gaskets around the back cargo area opening.

toyhauler1283

Reaction score
I had this same problem with my 2005 and it was the way gm put the sunroof together the seams needed more silicone. The water would run down the rlheadliner in behind the panels and soak the trunk and floor

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I have a oldsmobile that I just drilled a hole in the floor to let the water drain out. Maybe one of these days, I will have time to fix it!

3fingers

Reaction score
I had this same problem with my 2005 and it was the way gm put the sunroof together the seams needed more silicone. The water would run down the rlheadliner in behind the panels and soak the trunk and floor

I agree I recently had the same issue upon checking it out it was the sunroof seams that was leaking. Just apply additional silicon around the seam and your good to go.

A W Warn

Reaction score
There have been several Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) issued for a variety of water leaks in the Equinox and Terrain.
If I remember correctly, there are two main issues in the Equinox:
1. Where the tail light wires penetrate the car body, the grommet leaks or a grommet does not exist. Use caulk (type spec'd by GM) to seal the leak.
2. In some cases, sealant is missing around the perimeter of the rear hatch door. Use caulk (type spec'd by GM) to seal the leak.

3fingers

Reaction score
Yup heard a lot of complains about this with my fellow friends with their equinox. Manufacturer should call this as a recall.

3fingers

Reaction score
What I did to check is to have someone inside the cabin with a flash light and me out side hosing down all the rear areas so that the person inside could inspect thoroughly where the leakage is coming from.

JLD_HOUSTON TX

Reaction score
Water Leak into the spare compartment

See attached pictures of a 2014 Terrain, holes factory made UNDER THE TAIL LIGHTS, one hole on each tail light of about 3 in x 3 in covered by tape similar to the duct tape, this tape starts curling over the time exposing the hole on the body of the car, when water runs thru the gap around the tailgate goes right in to the trunk or spare compartment, it's very obvious how dumb USA auto industry is, I can't believe that any foreign vehicle is way more quality than USA ones, it;s embarrassing. I had to take off the trim by the latch and both sides panels in order to track the incoming water after I opened the water hose aiming to were the tailgate gap is, nothing to do with gaskets or mastic or anything like that, it was just the poor quality of the most vehicle made in USA.
In order to fix it I used A/C metallic duct tape along with E6000 glue, NO MORE LEAKS SINCE..

Members online