U0101 code due to amp draw?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dramey

Reaction score
Put a 1000w Rockford Fosgate amp in my 2014 equinox a few weeks ago and until now everything has worked fine. This morning after an hour drive with the radio cranked, I get back in the car and it won’t go in to gear. The check engine code is U0101. After a little googling it looks like it could be anything from a faulty ground wire to a bad alternator.

I pulled the fuse out of the amp and cruised back home without any issues. I put the fuse back in and so far it is working. I’m just wondering if my amp draw is too big for the alternator and I need to upgrade it to something bigger?

drifty

Reaction score
Put a 1000w Rockford Fosgate amp in my 2014 equinox a few weeks ago and until now everything has worked fine. This morning after an hour drive with the radio cranked, I get back in the car and it won’t go in to gear. The check engine code is U0101. After a little googling it looks like it could be anything from a faulty ground wire to a bad alternator.

I pulled the fuse out of the amp and cruised back home without any issues. I put the fuse back in and so far it is working. I’m just wondering if my amp draw is too big for the alternator and I need to upgrade it to something bigger?
Had the same issue with my 2017 Premier. I performed the "Big 3 Upgrade" which helped.
(cheaper than replacing the stock alternator) Eventually I want to upgrade to a HO alternator though. Google "Big Three Upgrade" for details, it's not that complicated.

Members online

No members online now.