Transmission Fluid Level Check 2016 2.4 Equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ibgm

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!! First time poster here. My 2016 Equinox with the 2.4 had a slight front axle leak. It's got 60K on it, so I figured I'd drain the transmission fluid, measure how much came out, and replace it. I did all that and the car is running fine. I do know that some fluid did leak out at one point. I would like to know what the Chevrolet service manual states as far as the official procedure for checking the fluid level. I get different answers from everyone I ask. I'm tempted to buy a Haines manual, but, I'm pretty sure it will tell me that "It's a sealed unit and should be checked by a certified Chevrolet profesional" At that point, I will have wasted $30 and will throw the manual directly in to my fire pit. I don't know why they didn't put a dip stick in these units. I appreciate any and all feedback on this one!!

hseiff

Reaction score
I think there's a plug on the transmission you can remove, then stick your finger in to see if the fluid comes up to the level of the bottom of the plug hole. BUT I never was able to find it when I was crawling around under the car looking.

Gmcdean

Reaction score
I saw how to check and fill or change out on a YouTube vid. I had to surf around a bit to find the right year. Also try the Terrain forum. Tons of stuff on the Equinox there

comp

Reaction score
had mine up on stands ,,level,,filled till it was just weaping out the side plug

Gyrobob

Reaction score
After reviewing several videos on changing auto trans oil, it seems it is important to have the transmission oil between 85C and 95C when filling it back up with oil. Unless we have some very expensive test equipment, how are we supposed to know what the temp is so it can be filled back up to the proper level? I'll bet lots of folks don't even know you are supposed to check the level with the engine running and the transmission warmed up. I'll also bet that even the folks who DO know this just let the car warm up some so the transmission feels hot and then just start pouring in oil till some runs out the oil-level-check-hole. I'd sure like some guidance on this. Thanks.

ibgm

Reaction score
After reviewing several videos on changing auto trans oil, it seems it is important to have the transmission oil between 85C and 95C when filling it back up with oil. Unless we have some very expensive test equipment, how are we supposed to know what the temp is so it can be filled back up to the proper level? I'll bet lots of folks don't even know you are supposed to check the level with the engine running and the transmission warmed up. I'll also bet that even the folks who DO know this just let the car warm up some so the transmission feels hot and then just start pouring in oil till some runs out the oil-level-check-hole. I'd sure like some guidance on this. Thanks.
Ok, I found out from my nephew who is a mechanic. You do have to get the vehicle up to normal operating temperature, my scanner displays the coolant temperature and since the trans fluid goes through the radiator, I consider that to be a good indicator. Take it for a quick highway run, that should do it. Then, you can turn the wheel enough so that you can get a socket with an extension to reach the side drain plug. Take it out, add fluid until it just starts to drip out. I did not jack the car up to do this. You can reach it through the wheelwell. I did measure and replace how much came out when I drained it. Dollar store measuring cup ( the bigger one)

Members online

No members online now.