Towing reliability of 2.0L+ Turbocharger and towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcchevy

Reaction score
Newer Equinox with 2.0L 4 cylinder + turbocharger which is rated to tow 3,500 lbs seems to be a combination too weak for the task. I am looking for a replacement newer Equinox but I am not confident with the small engine plus turbo can be reliable and not especially expensive with maintenance and turbocharger issues on top of higher RPMs. It meets EPA's requirements but not much else. Is this right or wrong?
If anyone is towing 3500 lbs with these newer engines, please let me know. Thank you

Jase47

Reaction score
I am curious to know as well if others are towing near max capacity on the newer Equinox. I have a 2020 with the 2.0 and just figured out how to hook up the brake controller. I've been on a couple other forums and people like to trash talk the Equinox as being too small to tow.

FYI, looks like Chevy dropped the 2.0L engine for 2021 and so the tow rating is only 1,500 lbs!

rcchevy

Reaction score
My "consumer" impression is that 4 cylinders + turbo are not robust nor dependable enough for the job of towing. On the one hand, the relatively small engine has to work much harder than a bigger one, on the other, I get the impression that the turbos being used are complex, fragile and require extra looking after, and are failing way too frequently, for whatever reasons. Turbo failures + the cost and difficulty of replacing them is not an appealing combination. My attitude is that they have to prove reliability and not the other way around. A car purchase is, probably, the biggest investment a person makes second only to buying a house.

Jase47

Reaction score
I think I would agree with that. I had a Chevy Cruze with a turbo that went out at 35,000 miles on a 36,000 mile warranty. I guess if Chevy says it will pull 3500 lbs it should. If the vehicle is under warranty, I'd tow occasionally. Out of warranty, I'm not so sure I want a Chevy.

Members online

No members online now.