Towing My 2022 Equinox LS AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptianGVP

Reaction score
Hello all, i just bought a 37ft Motorhome. I want to be able to tow my 2022 equinox.. My credit isnt the best and was lucky to even get the equinox a year ago with only 19miles. It IS the AWD model that can turn the AWD off... (has the button in front of shifter) Does anyone know if/how to tow this properly? the book says to never flat tow, and has tow dolly instructions but i feel its lacking. Only info i find online says to not tow an AWD vehicle but it also doesnt get into specifics about awd that can be turned off... along with the owners book giving instructions on how to tow dolly i'm very confused. i REALLY dont want to get another 18ft added on to the 37ft RV to tow my vehicle.... any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CoolDad

Reaction score
I have a 2020 AWD. It is NOT dolly towable and can only be towed 4 down or on a trailer. In installed a Curt baseplate and tie behind my RV. You have to have AWD on and on neutral with the ignition in acc mode. You do that by pressing the start button without pressing on the brake. You are limited to 65mph and have to start and run the engine for 5 minutes every 350 miles. I may be of on the miles but it needs run to relubricate. Make sure you put it back in ACC when done before you continue the trip.

CaptianGVP

Reaction score
I have a 2020 AWD. It is NOT dolly towable and can only be towed 4 down or on a trailer. In installed a Curt baseplate and tie behind my RV. You have to have AWD on and on neutral with the ignition in acc mode. You do that by pressing the start button without pressing on the brake. You are limited to 65mph and have to start and run the engine for 5 minutes every 350 miles. I may be of on the miles but it needs run to relubricate. Make sure you put it back in ACC when done before you continue the trip.
Funny cuz once again I not have conflicting statements again. I went and talked to the manager at service department of local dealership. Said to absolutely not flat tow it. And that it's only recommended not to dolly tow because people forget to take it out of AWD. But that it is technically dolly towable cuz when AWD is off, it's an FWD vehicle. Or to trailer it.

Why is this so damn confusing. Our manuals should indicate what is possible for our specific vehicles 😅😅

CaptianGVP

Reaction score

CoolDad

Reaction score
Here are the screen shots

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320_100757_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_100757_Samsung Notes.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230320_100826_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_100826_Samsung Notes.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230320_100836_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_100836_Samsung Notes.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230320_100859_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_100859_Samsung Notes.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230320_100924_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_100924_Samsung Notes.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230320_100939_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_100939_Samsung Notes.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230320_100957_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_100957_Samsung Notes.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 11

CaptianGVP

Reaction score
Here are the screen shots
I know what the manual says lol. But then dealership told me "absolutely do not flat tow your vehicle and that could void your warranty"

I have less than 16k miles with lifetime. I'm not trying to lose that. Kinda wish I bought a jeep or that my 93 cherokee was more reliable haha

TopHat

Reaction score
Here's the thing, it's easier to say "can't do it," than to look into it. But if you can't get the dealer or GM to approve flat tow, why risk it. Look carefully at the warranty.
Here lol is an Australian Chevy dealer who tells you by year if your vehicle is flat towable. I'd challenge your dealer to explain how they can say yes and they say no. https://www.dyerchevy.com/can-a-chevy-equinox-be-flat-towed/

CaptianGVP

Reaction score
Here's the thing, it's easier to say "can't do it," than to look into it. But if you can't get the dealer or GM to approve flat tow, why risk it. Look carefully at the warranty.
Here lol is an Australian Chevy dealer who tells you by year if your vehicle is flat towable. I'd challenge your dealer to explain how they can say yes and they say no. https://www.dyerchevy.com/can-a-chevy-equinox-be-flat-towed/
I don't HAVE to flat tow. I can dolly tow. It's just annoying that my local dealership and online information isn't just straight forward.

CoolDad

Reaction score
I know what the manual says lol. But then dealership told me "absolutely do not flat tow your vehicle and that could void your warranty"

I have less than 16k miles with lifetime. I'm not trying to lose that. Kinda wish I bought a jeep or that my 93 cherokee was more reliable haha
The dealership first told me the same, then the service manager actually looked it up and printed out the instructions. They don't have a clue. If you follow the MANUAL you are covered because the manufacturer wrote the manual and those are the "rules" they will hold you to. There are a lot of RVs towing the Equinox because they are light and a good all around vehicle. The dealer is reading that statement on the last attachment and not the actual instructions. The last one is dealing with dolly towing and not 4 down.

CaptianGVP

Reaction score
The dealership first told me the same, then the service manager actually looked it up and printed out the instructions. They don't have a clue. If you follow the MANUAL you are covered because the manufacturer wrote the manual and those are the "rules" they will hold you to. There are a lot of RVs towing the Equinox because they are light and a good all around vehicle. The dealer is reading that statement on the last attachment and not the actual instructions. The last one is dealing with dolly towing and not 4 down.
I find it odd the 2020 can't be dolly towed but per my book, 2022 can.... weird

CaptianGVP

Reaction score
Well I appreciate everyone's sudden input. My original concern was my 2022 book said I CAN flat tow or dolly tow, but dealership said total opposite of books. But everyone is saying follow books because it's from manufacturers. So I believe I'll do just that. Been driving me insane. Cuz I definitely didn't wanna add another 18ft trailer to the equation of rv traveling.

TopHat

Reaction score
I don't HAVE to flat tow. I can dolly tow. It's just annoying that my local dealership and online information isn't just straight forward.
I actually have a little sympathy for the dealer because the tow or not to tow methods depends upon the year and model. At one time you couldn't, so the service guy didn't keep up. And if you ask a salesman, he/she wouldn't know a Equinox from a Tonka toy. Seriously, they do not do their homework. If my livelihood depended upon selling cars, I'd know my vehicles in and out, top to bottom.

renossuv

Reaction score
I get the 'RV Magazine' and in the March 2023 issue, it gives instructions on how to tow both FWD and AWD.

Members online