Towing a Cruze with a Equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigun08

Reaction score
Hey all.. Newbie here bought my wife a 12 Equinox LT2 V6 FWD. We are returning to the north east from the mid west and I was thinking of changing out the hitch to a class 3 and using a tow dolly to tow our 12 chevy cruze EEEEEco.. Any ideas on if the is advisable? I saw the tow capacity was 3500 and we are under that by about 500 lbs.. But with the 6 speed tranny just wondering if this is a good idea - ok idea - or bad Idea.. thanks for the input

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Hey all.. Newbie here bought my wife a 12 Equinox LT2 V6 FWD. We are returning to the north east from the mid west and I was thinking of changing out the hitch to a class 3 and using a tow dolly to tow our 12 chevy cruze EEEEEco.. Any ideas on if the is advisable? I saw the tow capacity was 3500 and we are under that by about 500 lbs.. But with the 6 speed tranny just wondering if this is a good idea - ok idea - or bad Idea.. thanks for the input

Your within the limits I see no reason why...Personally I think most manufactures really understate the capabilities. I would add an aux tranny cooler, and just keep the tranny in M5, with the gearing designed to try to get max mpg's, I think M5 would be better on the tranny.

Bruce

Reaction score
are you adding the weight of the dolly also? personally i wouldn't tow anything with these cars, when you get as much weight behind you as you have in the tow vehicle, gets very hard to stop at any safe distances.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Your within the limits I see no reason why...Personally I think most manufactures really understate the capabilities. I would add an aux tranny cooler, and just keep the tranny in M5, with the gearing designed to try to get max mpg's, I think M5 would be better on the tranny.

I agree. IMO i wouldn't drive faster than 55 MPH and give myself extra braking space as well.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
are you adding the weight of the dolly also? personally i wouldn't tow anything with these cars, when you get as much weight behind you as you have in the tow vehicle, gets very hard to stop at any safe distances.

The Nox actually has really good sized brakes. THe Colorado is rated to tow 6,0000lbs, and its brakes are smaller and slightly thicker, whats better 1" overall size of .25" of thickness? The only "negative" on the Nox/Traverse when it comes to towing, is the fact they are on unibody frames and people freakout when towing with these. But its RATED for 3500lbs with trailer brakes, so even the manufacture see's no reason one could not tow 3k lbs with this.

Reaction score
I think it would be fine. Just use some common sense and drive with plenty of distance between you and any other vehicles. Slow down early and enjoy the trip.

Members online

No members online now.