tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmar

Reaction score

The Diagnostics Report from My/Chevrolet website says my right front tire is 30psi. The info from the vehicle dash board has 36psi. My tire gauge says it is 38 lbs.

All tires show similar numbers. Why the variance?

This is an 2021 Equinox with about 1200 miles on it.

Last edited:

rbrown0248

Reaction score

The Diagnostics Report from My/Chevrolet website says my right front tire is 30psi. The info from the vehicle dash board has 36psi. My tire gauge says it is 38 lbs.

I don't know but my 2020 does the same.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score

I don't know how the OnStar app updates the information but if you take your finger and drag it down from the top while you're viewing your information it will cause it to update. It always causes a change in my tire pressure. Two things: you may have to do it more than once but you will know when it starts and I haven't done this since they started using the new app so I'm giving you my best guess.

trytibbs

Reaction score

This is an 2021 Equinox with about 1200 miles on it.Easy fix.

trytibbs

Reaction score
Easy fix. Firstly, tire pressures change during seasons. Always make sure you check your tires through the seasons. Now for your problem, use an air gauge, fill all tires to the proper pressure and if it doesn't look right, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. It should reset. Works for me anyway.

mechanicbudd

Reaction score

Your tire gauge may not be very accurate they do vary by a few psi probably +/-2psi or so. When used by itself a helpful tool. It just makes sure all tires are the same. Used for this context not so much. It all depends on when OnStar takes a snapshot of your tire pressures. If you are driving on the highway the temperature of your tire will be much higher than when they were sitting overnight at ambient temp. Just say the outside temperature is 80 degrees and your tire pressure is the suggested 35 psi. Now you drive say 20 miles at 60 mph. The temperature of the tire raises and so does the psi. This is why when you check the pressure of your tires and fill them it should be done at ambient temps. I would consider 36 psi on warm tires as perfectly acceptable. They most likely took their snapshot while your tires were cold, check your dash tire pressures before you drive while they are still cold. Now take your tire pressure gauge and test it. If your tire pressure gauge reads anything other than the current tire pressure use that new number as your base. Also, tires should be checked at least once a month or whenever the average temperature outside changes 10 or more degrees up or down. This is easier done today with tire monitoring just be sure to check it before you drive. I hope this helped. Oh, and I would use the pressures my car is telling me over an OnStar report after all they send out thousands of these a day and most are ok. But certainly not all. If you are looking at your tire pressures and are concerned then they did their job, they made you aware.

Last edited:

mechanicbudd

Reaction score
Your tire gauge may not be very accurate they do vary by a few psi probably +/-2psi or so. When used by itself a helpful tool. It just makes sure all tires are the same. Used for this context not so much. It all depends on when OnStar takes a snapshot of your tire pressures. If you are driving on the highway the temperature of your tire will be much higher than when they were sitting overnight at ambient temp. Just say the outside temperature is 80 degrees and your tire pressure is the suggested 35 psi. Now you drive say 20 miles at 60 mph. The temperature of the tire raises and so does the psi. This is why when you check the pressure of your tires and fill them it should be done at ambient temps. I would consider 36 psi on warm tires as perfectly acceptable. They most likely took their snapshot while your tires were cold, check your dash tire pressures before you drive while they are still cold. Now take your tire pressure gauge and test it. If your tire pressure gauge reads anything other than the current tire pressure use that new number as your base. Also, tires should be checked at least once a month or whenever the average temperature outside changes 10 or more degrees up or down. This is easier done today with tire monitoring just be sure to check it before you drive. I hope this helped. Oh, and I would use the pressures my car is telling me over an OnStar report after all they send out thousands of these a day and most are ok. But certainly not all. If you are looking at your tire pressures and are concerned then they did their job, they made you aware.

Members online

No members online now.