Timing chain n Top Dead Center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timr847

Reaction score
2013 2.4 l. 2wd.
Got head back on with new rocker arms, lifters, valve seals and springs. Setting up timing, engine at TDC a mark slightly doesn't match up. In order to get marks n chains all lined up I pulled on intake cam a little bit to get phazer popped into slot but in order to pull on cam(seems like #4 intake valves are being stop by the#4cylinder?) so had to adjust the TDC slightly back, now everything lines up but TDC is not true?
Every marked chain on both chains are on the right marks. Do does it matter that it's not true TDC?

Attachments

• Screenshots_2022-08-13-19-47-55.png
    Screenshots_2022-08-13-19-47-55.png
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220813_185511~3.jpg
    20220813_185511~3.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshots_2022-08-14-12-05-04.png
    Screenshots_2022-08-14-12-05-04.png
    625 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
Did this engine stop due to a timing chain failure? If so it's possible the camshaft snout (keyway) has"spun/rotated" and isn't in its intended position. If so, it will not be able to be timed. You will need to replace the camshaft

Last edited:

superd

Reaction score
To me it appears as if you're off by a tooth. I just did mine last week, and they lined up correctly or seemed to. I put the timing chain on before I installed the upper right guide with updated fastener, and put the tensioner in last. However, I am experiencing a crank-no start at the moment, so I'm not exactly a guru at this...lol. I lapped and installed new valves, lifters stem seals and keepers, I also ported and polished the intake, exhaust ports and combustion chambers. New water pump, head gasket with copper spray using all felpro gaskets. I also replaced the Camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, but wasn't aware they need to have a Relearn performed on them. Ordered a new downstream O2 sensor (replaced the upstream) and ordered 4 new coils. Hopefully yours goes without a hitch. I believe I'm going to order the Foxwell NT530 which is supposed to be able to perform the relearn procedures on the sensors. Good Luck on yours.

timr847

Reaction score
Did this engine stop due to a timing chain failure? If so it's possible the camshaft snout (keyway) has"spun/rotated" and isn't in its intended position. If so, it will not be able to be timed. You will need to replace the camshaft
Yes it did, the black chain guide snapped and appearently chain was rubbing on guide bolts. I was freaking out when i lifted out the VVTs and saw metal on them, scared shit out of me thinking was piston. i replaced with new chains n sprockets(timing chain kit) not realizing i had to have at TDC(not sure if it was or wasnt at TDC at the time?) and wouldnt start then took all apart again, set to tdc, lined up all marks on chains and had no compression, so then i pulled head assuming a valve got bent(?) removed and replaced valves, valves springs(had three different size heights @ 1.665" 1.65" n 1.67" in height, originals are suposed to be 1.7" and I read there's a .05 tolerance so I just replaced all) , valve guides, rocker arms and lifters.
The camshaft snout is it on intake or exhaust cam and is there a way to notice it, like will it move slightly and is it on the end the phazer goes on?
I Finally got hold of my bro(gm Machanic but can never get hold of him) and he's coming by today so hopefully he might be able to help me figure out this nightmare guessing game, fingers crossed lol

Last edited:

superd

Reaction score
Camshaft snout? is that the end where you put the phasers...ya that Kanda looks like a snout. The intake camshaft is the longer one because it drives the HP Fuel pump. I haven't retaken apart the timing components...well except for the Tensioner that you screw in....wasn't sure it had activated....it had....so at that point it needed to be reset...snap ring pliers worked great to deactivate it. Hope you & your bro will figure it out....keep us updated.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
Yes, that's the snout, but if it was a running engine when you took it apart, that's not the issue. Only happens when the chain has a violent stoppage and valves meet pistons

timr847

Reaction score
Finally got it!! Found a video that I wish I would've found three months ago.lol it was the phasers, wrong ones! Put in the year make model at rock auto and the kit they send the phasers are not right one for this. I watched so many videos trying figure why the interference then found it. The guy in video reset the ones he had, I'm not about to do that. I decided to look at all the parts diagrams on every gm .com. The oem phasers are the same, the kit ones didn't even match up! So I bought OEM phasers(2) put them in everything lined up. Spun engine four times timing is still lined up.
Had issue with it running rough then shutting off so I got a hold of my personal mechanic, my brother lol and he brought over the code reader from his work, says there was a misfire on cylinder 3 so he said he had to be wiring. so I had to take the intake off, pull the fuel rail and sure enough the number three cylinder plug was unplugged. the nipple broke off for it to lock in, so we had to get some Thin wire and lock it in place now it runs great!!
I Probably didn't have to do entire top end because I had those wrong phases in, causing the no compression, leading to me thinking bent valves and to replace everything but in a way glad I did. It should last a lot longer though as long as she keeps up with oil changes and they actually change the oil filter when changing the oil
Thanks for help n suggestions!!

Last edited:

superd

Reaction score
Well, Saturday evening I got it started, raised compression with some tranny fluid down the spark plug holes....boy, it smoked out the neighborhood for about ten minutes. It sounded much smoother, with no ticking, however after about a minute or so it died...I'm pulling PO300 misfire....it feels like a fuel issue, perhaps at the injectors like yours. I replaced the coils and both cam position sensors and crank sensor, which I read may need to be "relearned" as well as the throttle body. I ordered a scanner , Foxwell nt530, which is bi-directional and can perform the relearn procedures. I got the scanner Friday, which you need to program, but, I'm having issues getting it to work properly....It's always something....but I'm excited to use the scanner, it's supposed to have functionality like a dealer type OE scanner. pretty sure it's just a couple bugs to work out, and I think it will be back in action. Sure have learned a lot, and my confidence level for repairs has gone up...Best of luck to you and many more trouble free miles.😎

timr847

Reaction score
Well, Saturday evening I got it started, raised compression with some tranny fluid down the spark plug holes....boy, it smoked out the neighborhood for about ten minutes. It sounded much smoother, with no ticking, however after about a minute or so it died...I'm pulling PO300 misfire....it feels like a fuel issue, perhaps at the injectors like yours. I replaced the coils and both cam position sensors and crank sensor, which I read may need to be "relearned" as well as the throttle body. I ordered a scanner , Foxwell nt530, which is bi-directional and can perform the relearn procedures. I got the scanner Friday, which you need to program, but, I'm having issues getting it to work properly....It's always something....but I'm excited to use the scanner, it's supposed to have functionality like a dealer type OE scanner. pretty sure it's just a couple bugs to work out, and I think it will be back in action. Sure have learned a lot, and my confidence level for repairs has gone up...Best of luck to you and many more trouble free miles.😎
After got it running getting code for low fuel pressure, on tank line not for high pressure fuel pump but my bro said should be good for a while since the high pressure fuel pump is really main pump to pump at high pressure? Daughter has been getting some codes since with the check engine light coming on, low engine power, claiming car vibrating... but when I drove it yesterday, nothing. Then as of last night they all disappeared when she started it up and was coming home from work??? 🤞lol no lights on!

superd

Reaction score
Good to hear. I also have a fuel pressure code, it's pointing towards the fuel rail pressure sensor. I'll be putting a new one in tomorrow. I did have a problem with the charging system, alternator wasn't charging the battery and giving me a P016100 code...even with a new battery and alternator....figuring it out was frustrating....turns out it was a sime mistake. I had attached the power cord from the alternator to the solenoid, but had it on the wrong post. It's running pretty good now, I have had reduced engine power intermittently, so hopefully the fuel sensor corrects that. Feeling pretty confident though.

Members online

No members online now.