The recall.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linksmom56

Reaction score
Did anyone take advantage of the engine recall for the oil consumption? When I bought mine (used 2011) i received the notice after it was outside the mileage range. My mechanic did all he could to keep it going short of saying I could get a new engine. It still consumes oil but it’s running. Did the recall make it run and consume less oil?

hseiff

Reaction score
We took advantage of the recall. GM did require an inordinate amount of paperwork to prove we had done proper maintenance during the vehicle ownership. That said, the recall worked. We're now at 140,000 mi and have had no oil burning since the rebuild.

haasr

Reaction score
Did anyone take advantage of the engine recall for the oil consumption? When I bought mine (used 2011) i received the notice after it was outside the mileage range. My mechanic did all he could to keep it going short of saying I could get a new engine. It still consumes oil but it’s running. Did the recall make it run and consume less oil?
My 2010 4-cyl was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles at the 40k mark. The service manager told me this was "normal" which I didn't feel was credible for current gen engines. I did get the recall and implemented it. It took care of the problem. Now at 161k with usage of about 1.5 quarts per 3000.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
I have an ad on Craigslist and Facebook for rebuying these 2.4 engines. I have advised at least 15 people to try having GM cover the repair costs.before paying me to do the work. Without exception, all attempts were denied by GM. The most recent attempt was a 2011 Equinox with only 89K on it. Very sad. Dealership offered to replace at $8,100 and obviously nobody wants to afford that. So dealership offers to take in on trade and get them into another vehicle. Lot of people still owe so much that it's not an option. So they pay me to rebud it.

CoolDad

Reaction score
I have an ad on Craigslist and Facebook for rebuying these 2.4 engines. I have advised at least 15 people to try having GM cover the repair costs.before paying me to do the work. Without exception, all attempts were denied by GM. The most recent attempt was a 2011 Equinox with only 89K on it. Very sad. Dealership offered to replace at $8,100 and obviously nobody wants to afford that. So dealership offers to take in on trade and get them into another vehicle. Lot of people still owe so much that it's not an option. So they pay me to rebud it.
My daughter has a Kia with over 150k miles and they just replaced her engine for 0$. Co on GM you have the same defect with these as Kia did. You want to keep customers? This is NOT the way to do it.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
My 14 came with upgrade. I have 75,000 miles on it with no oil usage. Over the years I have spoken to owners of earlier models who had oil usage problems. They were all taken care of eventually but it definitely required jumping through some hoops.

swisscheese

Reaction score
If you’re using synthetic try switching over to high mileage 10W-40 syn blend. It cut my oil consumption in half on my 2013 2.4.

hseiff

Reaction score
My daughter has a Kia with over 150k miles and they just replaced her engine for 0$. Co on GM you have the same defect with these as Kia did. You want to keep customers? This is NOT the way to do it.
My 2010 4-cyl was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles at the 40k mark. The service manager told me this was "normal" which I didn't feel was credible for current gen engines. I did get the recall and implemented it. It took care of the problem. Now at 161k with usage of about 1.5 quarts per 3000.
I took advantage of their offer. There was a lot of paperwork required to prove I had followed proper oil-change mileage in the past, but the dealer did the work. Now at 140K w no oil consumption.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
Chevrolet refused to perform the recall on my engine. They also refused to perform the TSB for cleaning the PCV orifice at their cost; no explanation was given. So I developed a external PCV system that has completely eliminated oil consumption in my 2013 Equinox 2.4L. To date, I have not had any oil consumption. It can be performed by anyone who is mechanically inclined, and has the proper hand tools. I hope this helps you.

TDW1954

Reaction score
I did on my 2011 2.4. Started using oil and timing chain rattling at around 90k miles. I have 145k miles now and uses no oil and has no blow-by. I reported the oil use and noise and the dealer took the car right in and got it done without question. I didn't even know about any recall.

mnocero

Reaction score
My engine was just replaced. I had to wait 3 months as there was 349 engines ahead of me that needed replaced. GM is a joke and we will never buy another car from them. My car is a 2017 and only has 95,000 miles in it.

tjo716

Reaction score
Is this oil consumption issue really a recall? The only thing I have seen is a Special Coverage Adjustment N192291100 Excessive Engine Oil Consumption – US Only. There are several states that have the class action lawsuit but not Maryland (mine).

Seems like that's the best way approach??

Members online