Steering Noise 2014 Equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dukester99

Reaction score
I have a 2014 chevy equinox that after driving for a couple of hours I get a moaning noise when I turn the wheel. I bought this car as a gm certified used with 48,000 miles currently on the vehicle. Took it to the dealer today and they tell me $2200 for a new steering gear ( i assume they are talking about the rack) Since I am 2000 miles over the warranty I will have to eat the whole thing. They had a hard time re-creating the noise since it usually does not start until I drive for a few hours in city traffic. Is there anything else that might be causing this noise? It is not real loud and just thinking about putting it off since it does not seem to affect the steering at all. I don't always trust Dealers and am wondering if it could be something else. The service tech did spray some 10w40 on the steering wheel shaft where it goes thru the firewall and did seem to help a little but cant be sure.

Members online